Kurzweil PC3x

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Kurzweil PC3x

Post by markymark »

Hi! I'm probably being hopeful posting this question but here goes...

I'm seriously thinking about investing in a Kurzweil PC3x.

I have always played Yamaha stage pianos and digital pianos mainly in the past but am keen to add to my arsenal! Has anyone tried one or bought one recently?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Kurzweil PC3x

Post by joseph »

I tried one today. I don't think you will like it, I hated it. Spongy keys and fake sound. Not like the Clavinova or Yamaha CP pianos at all!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Kurzweil PC3x

Post by markymark »

Ahh... an answer! I wasn't expecting a reply to this one really as it's usually me who ends up answering the most of the posts!

That is disappointing, Joseph! :(

One thing that I thought might make it more versatile is that you can edit every single sound on the instrument by using the slides on the left not to mention stacking up layers (up to 16!). For the pianos for example, you can equalise the sounds but also add reverb, wetness, soundboard, etc rather than have a handful of good sounds on a set sound framework. The PC3x is more versatile because of the variety of sounds although the pianos definitely do need tweaking - Kurzweil admit that itself. Also very over-priced at the mo! You didn't try the SP3x which is more traditionally stage piano based just out of interest? It's a new model I have been considering also.

Hmm... they don't stock Kurzweils here in Northern Ireland which means taking a day trip to the mainland or else ordering online on a gamble with a firm that has a no-penatly cooling of period. It's just the hassle of sending it back if I don't like it and it's not a method of instrument shopping that I encourage others to use.... Having said that, that practice is very common in US!

Thanks for the reply. I have some serious re-thinking to do.