YDP160 versus CLP 320?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

terrysa

YDP160 versus CLP 320?

Post by terrysa »

Apart from the difference in price what are the pros and cons of these two digital pianos?
I'm playing stuff like burgmuller pieces and want to get more expression into my playing-currently have a yamaha portable keyboard which has no sensitivity in the keys.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: YDP160 versus CLP 320?

Post by markymark »

I remember talking to Yamaha before about overlaps between the CLP220 and the YDP150 - their specifications were identical save for the casing dimensions. Basically it boiled down to the YDP150 being a temporary import which incidentally overlapped with the CLP220.

Moving on, the same thing seems to have happened between the YDP160 and the CLP320 - not sure if it's for the same reasons as the previous product clash. However, whichever you decide on, be it the YDP or the CLP, you will be working with the same GH hammer action. The specs are virtually identical save for the CLP320 having a slightly bulkier casing (I'm talking about cm of difference!), more polyphony and having the "Pure CF Sampling" for tonality which the YDP does not have.

What it really boils down to is whether or not those three difference really make that big a difference to your ear. The YDP160 will be slightly cheaper than the CLP320, being from top end of the entry-level Arius range.