Buying advise Gear4Music? Oh, and saying hello!

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Robmk1

Buying advise Gear4Music? Oh, and saying hello!

Post by Robmk1 »

Hello all, i'm new here and new to the piano. Used to play the Organ when I was a kid and got to grade one then give up at the age of 12!

Always loved the sound of the piano and always wanted to play it but my mother, for some reason, never let me?????

Anyway, i'm now 27 and i'm going to have a crack at it.

Been looking at a Gear4music PDP220 to start on. The very few reviews i've read are very good but was wondering if anyone have any experiance of these?

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and ... 4music/7LY

Many thanks,
Rob.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Buying advise Gear4Music? Oh, and saying hello!

Post by markymark »

Well I have never played that instrument before. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair but these exclusively branded instruments always seem to disappoint me. Like many such instruments, they appear to have all the right specifications such as "graded hammer action" and a respectable amount of polyphony, etc. However, the real let down is in the voice quality as shown in the link you provided.

The common problem among all instruments (generally) is that when you buy cheap from brand new, you tend to get an instrument that feels and sounds cheap too. Now take that piece of advice in moderation because you can get something pretty decent at a bargain price from time to time. However, having said that, not always brand new at under £300!

Have a look at this link. Here I was advising someone to consider buying a better instrument, secondhand but in good condition. Check here:

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... f=9&t=6770

Just out of interest, what is your budget for a new instrument?
Robmk1

Post by Robmk1 »

Thanks for the advise. I must admit after I posted that I was feeling I was not doing the right thing.

Perhaps I was considering it 'just in case' I couldn't get on with piano after all!

My budget could exceed £275 and it has done! I've ordered me a Yamaha YDPS30 as after a little more reasearch I realised the re-sale value, if kept in good condition, is very good If I decided against it and also from what i've read you can't go wrong with a Yamaha!

Thanks again and i'm sure i'll be posting more questions soon!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The YDP-S30 would be a better choice than the Casio you mention.

It has most of the same features as the YDP140 but most importantly, NOT with those awful clunky keys! Good choice!