Portable Piano - Yamaha P85, P140, or something else?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

ennjaydee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Portable Piano - Yamaha P85, P140, or something else?

Post by ennjaydee »

I''m looking for a portable piano to allow my daughter to practice while at University. She played a Clavinova CLP950 for 7 years and now a Bluthner Model A. I'm looking for a quality piano voice and ease of portability. It will be used mainly at low volumes or via headphones in piano mode, with advanced functions and effects not required. Thinking of Yamaha P85. What else should be considered?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The P85 would be more ideal in terms of portability. The specifications for both keyboards are comparable. The P85 would have less reverb presets which isn't a big deal; same keyboard type installed (GHS) which is decent for a keyboard designed with portability and lightweightedness in mind.

Rolands may not suit because your daughter would also need speakers for their stage piano range. A furniture piano would be too big, wouldn't it? The Privia range from Casio has gotten a bit of a push recently but I have not personal experience of these, specifically the PX-720 or the PX-800. You could also try the Kawai ES6 Portable Piano if you can get one to try of course. They are very rare in music shops in my part of the world! the more compact CL35 from Kawai has a charming studio grand voice and may also be worth a try. I'd recommend you try those out for yourself and decide, as you should with any instrument I've mentioned here.

Pricewise, the Casios I mentioned would be roughly the same price as the Yamaha P140 (give or take a few pounds) whereas the P-85 is just over half of the cost.

Hopefully this will get you started in your search.