General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

mwf
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Korg SP-250

Post by mwf »

Hi,

Anyone have one of these, would you recommend it for gigging at weddings/restaurants etc.. as a kind of mobile piano. is the onboard speaker system capable too without having to add extra speakers/setup.

Thanks

Mark
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Which voice are you using most?
If it is piano, you will be disappointed with this instrument. The Yamaha or even the Casio would be better for piano sound quality voices.
Keyboard action is okay but taking all this into consideration, bear in mind that it is located on Korg's entry/intermediate end of its product lines and is not, to me, Korg instruments at their best.
mwf
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mwf »

Piano definately, however I have heard very good things about this Korg piano. The most important criteria for me is portability and sound quality/keyboard touch. Only interested in piano tone too! None of the other voices that come with these keyboards am I interested in.

The Yamaha and Casio are not as loud as the Korg I believe, the Yamaha being a lame 6W x 2, and I dont know how loud that is, but I know the Korg is nearly double the output in Watts at 11W x 2! Its important I hace decent onboard speaker system too, very important.

Thanks, any more advice would be greatly appreciated :)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The weighted/hammer action is okay but piano sound is inferior to the Yamahas generally. Korg aren't really trying to be piano experts but they do have other very good onboard synths for example which though great, are totally useless for what you need.

The piano sample is acceptable, but again, you'd be hard pushed to find something in the same price range with more powerful speakers.
mwf
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mwf »

Forgetting the speakers aspect, what about the Roland FP4 or Yamaha P140 as alternatives to the Korg SP250, would they have better sounds etc..
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Before I go any further, have you tried any of these yourself?

To my ear, the P140 has a clearer and slightly more realistic tone than the Roland FP4. The FP4 has a more mellow and smooth tone, but these are subtle differences.

Whichever you choose, I'd seriously consider some kind of additional amplification to help the sound carry, that is unless you are using an in house PA system. Smaller speakers get sucked up by crowds
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Which did you finally settle for, mwf?