C and E have disappeared

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Mart75

C and E have disappeared

Post by Mart75 »

Hi

I've had a Technics SX-P26 for (I think) about the last 8 years.

It's been fine until last week when all of the c and e keys stopped playing - all other keys are fine.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

I suppose I am wondering whether this sounds like something very final with the mainboard or whether it is possible to get it fixed.

Thanks

Martin
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The fact that it has happened to all C and E keys on the piano sounds like a sound processor fault and not simply a key velocity sensor issue. I've never heard of a digital piano doing that! Obviously, this would need attention from a Technics technician. Contact Technics directly for more information but I'd be very surprised if this could not be fixed without having to bust the bank!
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

It looks like a fairly common key sensing problem. The key contacts are usually scanned by 2 lines, one per octave and one per note. It looks like there is a problem on the scan lines for 'C' and 'E'. If this isn't caused by a loose connector or pinched ribbon cable, this can usually be fixed with some fairly cheap key contacts or contact circuit boards.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I had a key velocity sensor issue with my old Clavinova but it obviosuly didn't affect other keys wthin the other octaves on the keyboard. Basically all the sensors needed replacing. Including labour, parts and a service, I paid around 50GBP which wasn't bad really.

Just a thought, instead of contacting Technics HQ for a repair job and going through the hassle of sending off the instrument, why not rack down a local dealer? Shops who deal with digital instruments often have access to the service branch of the respective brands via their trading and supplier links. If someone in your town supplies/sell Technics products, ask them for more information on repairs. Having said that, getting a list of approved contacts from Technics direct wouldn't be an entire waste of time if it helps you find quality support.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

didn't technics stop making musical instruments?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Yes. Technics branded digital pianos certainly seem to have been disappearing within the last few years - I've only personally ever played one at a conference. Panasonic took over many of the Technics branded products but the Technics instruments are still being sold today, despite not being in production. Their instruments never seemed to be very common around the band/church/television scenes anyway. As I say, I'm not entirely au fait with the latest developments with the company and its keyboard range, but Technics - the company - still exists although they focus on dj and amplification equipment now. To be honest, I'm surpised that Casio haven't gone that way too because Technics produced superior instruments - in my opinion - to what Casio is still producing today. Perhaps the higher pricing was Technics' problem in that product range. Casio seems to be able to keep prices down and is a brand that the 'budgeters' help keep in circulation.

Anyway, as I said, it may be useful to contact Technics directly or try going through a local supplier for more information, which may be the better option. I doubt much will come of contacting Panasonic but you could try.
Last edited by markymark on 08 Sep 2008, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.