yamaha clp 100

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

quite_interesting_rhythm

yamaha clp 100

Post by quite_interesting_rhythm »

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I'm a drummer trying (vainly) to play the piano so please take pity : )

Wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the clp 100 clavinova? I understand it was one of the earliest and is now superceded by the 120, 140 etc. but an opportunity has come to purchase one for round about £150 and I'm wondering if it would be a good deal.

At the moment I'm just doodling around on a cheap keyboard (basically a glorified kid's toy) and teaching myself a bit of basic jazz piano but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of touch response, and from what I've read on here and elsewhere it seems that having realistically weighted keys is a necessity if you're to go on to play 'proper' piano so am hoping to upgrade. However, can't really afford to go much over a couple of hundred quid, especially as I don't know if it's something I'll take to and be able to keep up seriously.

Which is all a longwinded way of saying I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me anything about how this clavinova is regarded - is it hugely inferior to the modern clps? does it have the graded hammer action? is there a reason why it's so cheap and I should steer well clear?!

Cheers
Michael
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i dont know much about the 100, abut its probably so cheap because its an older model. If there's nothing wrong with it technically and you like it, then why not buy it. chances are you could haggle them down a bit what with the credit crunch and all.

It probably wont have the graded action but it sounds like you wont need that feature, but it probably will have an excellent action being a yamaha.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The first CLP100 was released some time around 1987/88. Is that what you're talking about?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

If it is that model, 150GBP might be okay - but I'd have to be in good cosmetic and functioning condition as well!