Advice on buying a digital piano

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

~D~

Advice on buying a digital piano

Post by ~D~ »

Hi,

I used to play piano and got to Grade 4 about 4 years ago, getting there with a cheap keyboard (no weighting, plastic keys etc).

I've recently started playing again but a few of the pieces I am trying to learn are out of the scope of my 61-key keyboard, also taking into account its age and lack of realism, I have decided to buy a digital piano.

However the catch is that I am a student and do not have room for a 88-key instrument, therefore I am in the market for a 76-key piano.

What I would like to know is what is the most realistic 76-key digital piano/keyboard on the market? My budget is around the £300 mark but could be stretched if needed.

Also the length of the instrument needs to be less than 125cm.

Thank you for your help.
steve-b
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by steve-b »

What about the Yamaha DGX230? Is that the type of thing you're looking for?

This is the description... it's around 260 quid.

76 Graded Soft Touch keyboard with 489 natural sound voices and styles.

The Yamaha DGX-230 features a 76 Graded Soft Touch keyboard plus a professional pitch bend wheel for more expressive playing of brass and string instruments.

It also comes with innovative features like USB computer connectivity, a large selection of realistic voices including the Yamaha Portable Grand, and the Yamaha Education Suite. Playing piano is fast and easy with Yamaha's Portable Grand function. One dedicated button brings up a great sounding piano, stunningly rich and authentic in its sound and exceptionally responsive to your playing touch, as well as setting up the keyboard to play as a piano.

Just as on an actual piano, the lower keys are heavy in touch and the higher keys are light, with the softer touch of a digital keyboard for beginners. The DGX-230 is loaded with many more sounds, 116 panel voices + 12 drum/SFX kits + 361 XGlite voices with 32 note polyphony.

Amongst the voices are Yamaha's highly acclaimed Sweet! and Cool! Voices that deliver incredibly natural and dynamic sound. Use the Pitch Bend wheel, and hear these featured Voices--especially the Sax and Trumpet--truly come alive! Play along with a choice of 160 Preset Styles covering a wide variety of musical genres.

Play along using the Performance Assistant Technology (P.A.T.) function and you will produce a perfect performance every time ...even if you play wrong notes...as long as you play in time with the music. This instrument allows Music Database files to be transferred from a computer or data stored on a USB flash memory device.

These files can be used in the same way as the internal Music Database. The USB port will also act as a USB MIDI interface for computer sequencing/songwriting via your computer (Windows only).

Finally, Yamaha Education Suite (Y.E.S.) is an advanced set of helpful learning tools built into the instrument, letting you teach yourself how to play and perform. Y.E.S. helps you master a song with easy lesson steps. Each lesson can be done in isolation with either your left hand or right hand, or both.

Features

76 Graded Soft Touch keyboard
Portable Grand function - One dedicated button brings up a great sounding piano
Baclit LCD Display
Acoustic, super-expressive Live!, Cool! and Sweet! Voices
Easy Song Arranger feature and Performance Assistant Technology
Built-in USB terminal allows quick and easy computer connection
Pitch bend wheel to add smooth pitch variations to notes played
Voices - 116 panel voices + 12 drum/SFX kits + 361 XGlite voices, Polyphony: 32, DUAL and SPLIT modes
Styles - 160 Preset Styles + External files, Style Control: ACMP ON/OFF, SYNC STOP, SYNC START, START/STOP, INTRO/ENDING/rit., MAIN/AUTO FILL, Fingering: Multi Finger, Full Keyboard, Style Volume
Music Database: 300 + External files
Education Feature: Dictionary, Lesson 1–3, Repeat & Learn
Registration Memory: 8 banks x 2 types
Effects - Reverb: 9 types, Chorus: 4 types, Harmony: 26 types
30 Preset Songs + 5 User Songs + Accessory CD-ROM with 70 more
Auxiliary jacks: PHONES/OUTPUT, DC IN 12V, USB, SUSTAIN
Amplifier: 6W + 6W
Speakers: 12cm x 2 + 3cm x 2
Power Consumption: 20W
Power Supply - Adaptor: PA-150 or an equivalent recommended by Yamaha, Batteries: Six “D” size, R20P (LR20) or equivalent batteries
Dimensions (W x D x H): 1,178 x 412 x 137 mm (46-3/8" x 16-1/4" x 5-3/8")
Weight: 8.3kg (18 lbs. 5 oz.) (not including batteries)
Supplied Accessories - Music Rest, Accessory CD-ROM, Owner’s Manual
Optional Accessories - AC Power Adaptor: PA-150 or an equivalent recommended by Yamaha, Footswitch: FC4/FC5, Keyboard Stand: LW-16, Headphones: HPE-150
TheBritishPianist
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by TheBritishPianist »

Could you stretch that £300 up to £1600?

Because then you could het Joules Holland's piano. It's small, sounds great, and it's a Yamaha.
www.markinnottingham.blogspot.com

My piano blog - I talk about everything piano related! Take a look......