Help with Shortlist and Other General Questions

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

shropshirelad

Help with Shortlist and Other General Questions

Post by shropshirelad »

Hi There

Looking to buy my girlfriend a digital piano for her birthday next month, she is a beginner and take piano and singing lessons.

We live in an apartment so digital has been chosen for space saving reasons.

We are a young couple who are getting married in 6 months so I'm afraid I'll be at the budget end of the market.

The most central requirement is that she can transfer her practice to lessons and the unit helps her improve acoustic piano skills.

I have been doing some research and have shortlisted the following likely contenders.

Yamaha - YPD131
Casio - AP24
Casio - AP80R

I have discounted the non-furniture type pianos and other cheaper ones for purely esthetical reasons.

At the moment I am favouring the YPD131 as yamaha seems to have a slightly better name - but I also see they are replacing this in a couple of months with the YPD140 - is there a reason for this?

Anyone know what the pro's and cons are for each and how they compare??

Should I be considering any other similair price models? Gear4music have some well priced own brand models - anyone come across these?

Or should I consider buying a better standard second hand model, currently the lack of warranty makes me a little nervous!

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks

J
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

You are right. In fact, Yamaha are getting ready to upgrade their CLP range very soon as well. If money is a factor, you could get a redundant model cheaper than the new release which tends to be overpriced at its first unveiling.

As for your shortlist, I would go with the YDP-131. Wouldn't be keen on the Casio models although they are better than they have been.

No real reason for the upgrade save for the obvious which is to release and improved model. I mentioned this to someone earlier in the month:

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... php?t=5796
shropshirelad

Post by shropshirelad »

Thanks to both of you - think I will go with yamaha, just need to decide which colour!

Also is there any advantage of this model over the digital pianos that just look like big keyboards - or is it just the fact they look nicer and become a piece of furniture?

Thanks

J
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Usually, furniture pianos will have two pedals included on a pedalboard. Stage pianos come without a furniture stand as they can be mounted on a retort/X-stand and can be connected up with a standalone pedal unit like the FP3 or FP4 from Yamaha for example.

By the way, did you think about the Yamaha YDP-151 which is higher speced than the YDP-131 but lower priced as it is a limited and discontinued range? See this link for more info:

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/piano5717.html
shropshirelad

Post by shropshirelad »

I see thanks for that - I have not found a 151 as low priced as 131, I think that as 131 is now being replaced it has gone the same way and I can pick one up for just over 400 quid online.

Now also considering the YPD S30 as it seems to have exactly the same spec as 131 but just a slimmer (and not as attractive) design.

Although it's not as pretty I was looking around our two bed apartment last night and thought where the hell are we going to put this - tape measure out tonight i think.

J
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

What did you go for in the end?