Yamaha GT20

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

thelastolympian

Yamaha GT20

Post by thelastolympian »

hello, im in a band and i am going to be able to purchase a new Digital piano sometime after the holidays, and the one i want is a Yamaha GT20, coldplay uses one, and im in a band that tours, and it would be incredible if i could get a piano that looked completely like a spinet but was digital, i hate tuning my Yamaha cp-70b another yamaha "touring" piano.

and i would make calls and look around as much as i could but i have one problem.

I am an American, i grew up in the US, and they never made that piano here.

and i would like to contact people anywhere (email) around the UK that sells used digital pianos and check their inventory every so often.

and if i finally did find one, i could ask them to hold it for me until i can fly over there to buy it in person and get it shipped back to america with or without me.

so... the reason i am posting this is... i need help.

i need to talk to all the locals here. what do you all think would be my best bet in places to email or call about finding this piano.

what amazing music stores does England hide?
im not there, im not you, i wouldnt know.

see the dillema?

aside from giving up or buying a different piano, what do you think i should do, or whom do do you think i should contact?

theres gotta be someone out there who could give me a hand.

thanks so much

John S.
Ellensburg, Washington, U.S.A.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Yamaha GT20

Post by PianoGuy »

thelastolympian wrote: what amazing music stores does England hide?
Very few.

If you brought your CP70 over with you, you'd be able to swap it for a GT20 and have cash in your pocket, but don't expect the GT to be working in 30 years' time like a CP70 does..... If you can find one that actually works at the moment.

Why not buy a CP33 or 300?
thelastolympian

Post by thelastolympian »

first of all, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, secondly, i would love to purchase a cp33 or cp300 but theres a factor that is as important as the sound and practicality of the digital piano, which is the appearance of the piano, it needs to be a spinet in disguise.

i hate how much image is important in the modern indie rock scene, but it is.
playing something that looks like a spinet is just cred.
i want to decieve the people like me who can always tell there is a digital piano onstage without looking, Chris martin uses this piano, and i thought it was acoustic until very recently.

there are american yamaha models that slightly resemble spinets such as nearly anything from the american Clavanova CLP 220 - 280 models.

but even then theres digital all over the face of the piano, and the GT-20 hides it.

thanks for the suggestion, but im picky, and im specific for my look and sound
Gizzle

Post by Gizzle »

The GT-20 is a mega piano, ive had one for a couple of years and i love it to bits. Ive played various Grands working in swanky hotels Kawai, Yamaha, Steinway ect... I still feel i am playing a really great piano when i come home to my GT-20
Gaz
jolandre

Post by jolandre »

thelastolympian wrote:hello, im in a band and i am going to be able to purchase a new Digital piano sometime after the holidays, and the one i want is a Yamaha GT20, coldplay uses one, and im in a band that tours, and it would be incredible if i could get a piano that looked completely like a spinet but was digital, i hate tuning my Yamaha cp-70b another yamaha "touring" piano.

and i would make calls and look around as much as i could but i have one problem.

I am an American, i grew up in the US, and they never made that piano here.

and i would like to contact people anywhere (email) around the UK that sells used digital pianos and check their inventory every so often.

and if i finally did find one, i could ask them to hold it for me until i can fly over there to buy it in person and get it shipped back to america with or without me.

so... the reason i am posting this is... i need help.

i need to talk to all the locals here. what do you all think would be my best bet in places to email or call about finding this piano.

what amazing music stores does England hide?
im not there, im not you, i wouldnt know.

see the dillema?

aside from giving up or buying a different piano, what do you think i should do, or whom do do you think i should contact?

theres gotta be someone out there who could give me a hand.

thanks so much

John S.
Ellensburg, Washington, U.S.A.
Hey there is a real simple solution, check out amazon or ebay, you are bound to find it there! Or if you want a brand new one then why not try the supplier directly? I've heard these ones are quite pricey but worth it if you are in a band I guess. Jolandre.
harrymark

Post by harrymark »

# 88-key wooden piano keyboard with acoustic upright action
# Two beam, four point optical speed sensors
# Concert grand piano voice
# 32-note polyphony
aaronm

Post by aaronm »

I'm looking for one of these beauties myself, but I'm not having much luck :( The problem is they are just sooooo rare!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

aaronm wrote:I'm looking for one of these beauties myself, but I'm not having much luck :( The problem is they are just sooooo rare!

Try putting an add in pianos wanted section Y&ou will need to register with that section
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
aaronm

Post by aaronm »

Yes, I already have put a request in the wanted section without much luck :(
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

OK I know this thread is 5 years old, but there is a Kawai digital that looks like an upright, and is still in production.
aaronm

Post by aaronm »

I'm willing to wait until a GT20 comes up on eBay or at some sort of piano store or the like...I'm worried that if I buy an NU-1 of a Kawai that one (a GT20) will come up and that'll be the end, as I won't be able to get rid of the old piano, so that's why I'm hanging on for now, one usually comes up on eBay ever 3 or 4 months...
aaronm

Post by aaronm »

I think the Kawai model you are referring to is the CA 111, it looks like an upright, yes, but does it have the hammers etc that the GT20 does and are the samples, touch response etc as good??
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

The sample on the CA111 is excellent, and although it doesn't have an acoustic piano action, the touch is also excellent. It isn't cheap though, although I'm not sure how much it costs. I think it's around the same price as the Yamaha NU1, which obviously fits the bill for what you're looking for.

An old GT-20 would be the cheapest way forward, and since it has midi, you can change the sound to something you prefer.
cextArtiddith

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Post by cextArtiddith »

Hi!

I'm Earl and I live in Texas. I've been getting all melancholy this past weekend regarding the Texas International Pop Festival. I attended for four days and it was life changing! I was 16 at the time.

I also attended the Celebration of Life festival in Louisiana. Totally different experience. However, researching the Louisiana festival led me to here.

Looks like a great place to hang out!

Earl
rocklandpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by rocklandpiano »

I 've got an Yamaha Gt20 Grand touch Piano but it doesn't sounds exactly like Chris' ones, but it's the same Piano!
There are Midi in and Midi out connections.
Integrating the latest advances in Yamaha digital/acoustic design, GranTouch pianos blend the 'touch', tone and timeless beauty of traditional acoustic instruments with the modern convenience and versatility of digital music technology.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

The Yamaha NU1 would fit the bill,if you have the money. Latest piano samples, acoustic action.

BTW. Coldplay have a lot more GT20s than 1. (I've worked on a lot of them :wink: )

athomik
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

oh yeah the NU1 has just been issued! Totally forgot about it.
rocklandpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by rocklandpiano »

The GT20 is of course slightly more expensive that normal digital pianos. This must be expected when you consider the amount of workmanship involved in creating the very special key action. The warmth of the piano sound is outstanding. Play it side by side to a real piano( a good one), be critical and then ask yourself which is the best piano. Whilst your left considering the accuracy of sound and the ever important touch remember that youll never need to tune the GT20 and youll be able to thrash away in the middle of the night without disturbing neighbours or your family. All things considered, even the purist is going to find the choice between the GT20 Grand action Piano and the real thing rather difficult.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

You have to remember that the GT20 has been an obsolete product for some years. It's portability also means that many were used for gigging, so it's worth getting a piano technician to check out the action and general condition - the Coldplay pianos tended to get bashed around a lot. Apart from the key sensor emission board (relatively easy fix), the electronics don't wear out.