Yamaha GT10 losing notes

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Raph
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yamaha GT10 losing notes

Post by Raph »

Hi, I have a Yamaha GT10 - well it seemed a good idea at the time! It's losing notes at the rate of about one a month for the last five months - first the note starts only playing when the key is released, then eventually dies altogether.

I've taken the keys off and replicated a template that cuts out the light beam - the optical emitters are still fine, as in there's still a little red light being shone across the gap, which is very pretty mind you, I'm not complaining about that bit - but somehow there's no signal going down the wire to tell the dozy contraption at the other end that a note has been played.

Is it possible to get spares for these things? It would be slightly annoying to find that 2 grand's worth of digi piano is made to be "disposable".

If anyone's taken one of these apart it would be great to have some advice.

The real joke is - I bought this rather than a frame'n'strings piano cos I thought it would be more reliable... that it would take a bit of bashing from the kids... and the bit that's gone wrong isn't even the bit the gets bashed.

Any comments, abuse, advice appreciated.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well, if you post a question like that on the REAL piano forum, you ARE going to get abuse! :wink: Try the plastic pig - I mean, digital piano forum...just before you consign your plastic pig to the skip and nip down the piano shop for a real one which'll last you 30 years or so. :)
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Yamaha GT10 losing notes

Post by PianoGuy »

Raph wrote: Is it possible to get spares for these things? It would be slightly annoying to find that 2 grand's worth of digi piano is made to be "disposable".
Well in a manner of speaking they are. Expendable, rather than disposable.

Spares and servicing are available. You should contact your dealer and ask them to help. If they won't or you bought on the internet from "Piedung" or "Digital Ripoff Dot Co Dot You've been done" then all's not lost. Call your local Yamaha dealer and ask them for the "Yamaha EKB Division" number and give them a call. They will let you know the nearest service agent.

Raph wrote:The real joke is - I bought this rather than a frame'n'strings piano cos I thought it would be more reliable... that it would take a bit of bashing from the kids... and the bit that's gone wrong isn't even the bit the gets bashed.
How many 80 year old digital pianos are still working?

Tsk....
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

OK, I know this is about digital pianos (spit) and as such doesn't belong here, but it's continuing an existing thread so what's a boy to do?

I've been given an old Roland/Yamaha/can't remember wot digital piano for skool but one of the keys is all flappy and doesn't work at all. Is there anyone who fixes these infernal instruments of Beelzebub?
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

GT10

Post by athomik »

You'll probably find that unless it is due to dust/debris on the sensors, it is the optical parts which are causing the problem. After a while, the LEDs can loose intensity, which confuses the sensors. It looks like one or more LEDs on your piano are gradually fading.

There is an engineer called Gary Warmington in Banbury who might be abel to help. Call Adrian or Karen at Yamaha Service for contact details. Tel. 01908 369213
Raph
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Raph »

"How many 80 year old digital pianos are still working?"

HAHA - give it another few decades before that carries any weight. However, pianos need tuning, digi pianos don't, plus I've taken it to gigs, by myself with no help loading and unloading - couldn't do that with the U3... that was the logic, but of course I missed the essential bit, which is that pianos need tuning, digital pianos, as I now know, need taking to the dump.

It's a bit of a surprise though for a bit of Yamaha gear - everything else of theirs I've ever used is still working perfectly and nothing's ever needed a repair. None of it is 80 years old I suppose - not much call for drum machines and synths in the 1920s, but it all looks like it'll be working in 80 years time - by which time a DX7 will be a collector's dream with bags of "retro charm" - cos let's face it, the charm won't be in the lovely sound!

I've now stuck the piano on Ebay - it's had a bid for a quid, and I'm happy!!! Stroll on that Yamaha U3 as soon as the space is vacated. I've got another U3 in elsewhere in the house - it's taken a few goes to get it in tune but it's going great guns.

Thanks for the recommendation of an engineer - I'll pass that on to the buyer.
Raph
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Raph »

"How many 80 year old digital pianos are still working? "

That comment's ringing in my ears now... how many 80 year old real pianos are still working? - well, compared to how many were made, probably not that many!

Not that I'm sticking up for the electronics - if it did its job I wouldn't mind the placcyness. If it doesn't, there's really nothing left to commend it. As I've mentioned on the Ebay ad - this piano's got so bad that it bongs odd noted in the middle of the night, spontaneously! Real big fortissimo low Bbs!
tbip2001
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by tbip2001 »

Hi Raph, Ive seen your ebay listing and im very interested.

I once owned a GT20, and I cant believe i was stupid enough to sell it.

I reckon one way or another Ill get something working out of it!

Ive sent you a email via ebay mate.

Jim
tbip2001
'You gotta eat big, to be big!'