CLP 220

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

CLP 220

Post by Openwood »

Does anyone know why the quality of the piano sample improves so dramatically when I use headphones? It's like it's been sampled from a different instrument.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Not that I know a lot about them but the speakers are not very good, that may be why

Have you tried external sound system one of my clients puts his digital piano through an old quadraphonic system and the four speakers are about four foot high

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

That sounds interesting - I'll give it a go. I never expected the sound to be great but it's strange how much better it is with the headphones on; much brigher and definitely more realistic. I only got the thing for practise whilst I save up for a real one.

I want to get a sticker that says 'My other piano's a Steinway B'....
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Yeah, the power-amp, speakers and acoustic design of the 220 are fairly crap.

The samples and pre-amp however are superb, and the headphones run off the pre-amp.

The line-out bypasses the power-amp, so if you put that through a PA or external amp of quality, the sound is excellent. It's basically the same module as the P-series professional stage pianos.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Thanks, PG - sounds like I should get myself a decent amp. Any recommendations, folks?
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Blimey O'Reilly, just had a look at the cost of some decent amps :shock:

Think I'll just apply the headphones and keep saving up for the real thing.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

:lol:

It needn't be a keyboard amp.

A quick trip to a Richer sounds for a cheap hi-fi amp and some meaty speakers will suffice.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Right, got the amp on order. Reckon I'm gonna set the clavinova up in the back of a van, hook that baby up to the biggest set of sub-woofers I can find and then drive round the local estates giving them the complete HammerKlavier Sonata on max volume. The least I can do is return the compliment they so often pay the rest of us :twisted: