Help choosing EP with MIDI recording

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

itm60

Help choosing EP with MIDI recording

Post by itm60 »

I've been learning piano for a couple of years on an old Clavinova CLP-350. I've started creating and recording my own compositions, so would like to upgrade to a keyboard which has the ability to record to MIDI files (which I will then copy into a DAW and augment with guitar/bass/drums).
I'd like something which sounds and feels at least as good as the CLP-350, but ideally don't want to spend more than £600-700 at the absolute top end (ideally significantly less!). Also happy to consider used instruments.
Can anyone recommend some decent console style models which sound and feel like an acoustic piano, but which have good MIDI recording capabilities?
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Help choosing EP with MIDI recording

Post by chrisw »

I would start by visiting local music shops and trying out what Casio/Kawai/Roland/Yamaha have to offer.
itm60

Post by itm60 »

Unfortunately there are no local music shops with a selection of electric pianos - hence the online research.
Someone has recommended the Casio Privia PX-780 to me, and it seems to have exactly what I want, but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent model here?
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Perhaps you could send your question by email to Reidys in Blackburn or Bonners of Eastbourne.
itm60

Post by itm60 »

Thanks. I emailed Bonners and they have broken the following bad news:
"None of the Casio console-style models available in this country have multitrack MIDI recording, I'm afraid. Not even the premium Grand Hybrid models. The only Casio instrument I can find that has it is the PX560M, which is a portable piano - and it's blue!"
:0(