Steingraeber New digital sampling

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steingraeber New digital sampling

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A collaboration with Adsilent and Steingraeber has come up with a new and improved way to reproduce the sound of an acoustic piano. "Physical modelling" is the name of the new technique, based on complex software designed by French engineer, mathematician and piano builder Philippe Guillaume. Guillaume's software has enabled adsilent to compute and reproduce the Steingraeber Concert Grand sound using a sophisticated modelling process, without the need for signal-based sampling.

The piano used for the physical modelling process was the Steingraeber & Söhne E-272 Concert Grand. The resulting sound is being distributed via adsilent, making it available to a wide range of pianists using silent systems and headphones for silent practice. All Steingraeber instruments with a silent function now come with the Steingraeber E-272 Grand sound.

www.steingraeber.de/en/

www.adsilent.eu/en/
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Steingraeber New digital sampling

Post by chrisw »

I would like to know what they mean by physical modelling. Are they drawing a distinction with mathematical modelling which would be used in physics to describe the decaying vibration of a string in all of its complexities ?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

As I understand it, the problem they have had in the past is computing power the chips and memory used are just not capable of handling the complex maths involved in the samplers for pianos. It looks like they may have got a bigger computer so a more complex algorithm.

Thy have some samples on here but... !

https://www.steingraeber.de/en/steingra ... nt-pianos/

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Quality of the sound comes over quite well. By coincidence I am aiming to play the first movement of the Moonlight sonata on the new bass strings of the SA piano (provided my nerves don't get the better of me and I chicken out). I am hoping to bring out the left hand tune.