Best digital pianos for realistic action

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

viprit77

Best digital pianos for realistic action

Post by viprit77 »

I recently moved from my parent's house into a smaller apartment. As a result, I no longer have room for an acoustic piano. I'm looking for a digital piano, with my most important characteristic being realistic key action. Suggestions appreciated!
Pianist685
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Best digital pianos for realistic action

Post by Pianist685 »

Any answer can only be subjective and will not be free from bias. So is mine. I would suggest to try the Casio GP500. It comes with an action approved by Bechstein and very realistic piano sounds. IMHO, it is the best DP you can get at a reasonable price, and, what is more, it is relatively small. You should find that instrument in the showroom of any Bechstein dealer.

If you want a real grand piano action built into a DP, try the Kawai Novus N10, though its piano sounds are inferior to the Casio, IMO. A couple of users on PianoWorld claim the most realistic digital instrument is the combination of the Kawai Novus with a software piano like Pianoteq or Garritan CFX. Unfortunately, as a high-end instrument, the Kawai Novus is relatively expensive, and it takes up quite some room with its grand-like design...

Another option might be to purchase an acoustic Yamaha piano (the smallest one) with one of their built-in silent systems. Then you have the Yamaha action plus digital sound generation. Especially the more expensive of their 2 silent systems offers quite a good piano sound, and if you still are not satisfied you can always run a software piano ("VSTi", virtual studio technology instrument, less than 100 €) via MIDI-out with it.