Distorted Sound from Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitors

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

arnab

Distorted Sound from Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitors

Post by arnab »

Hi,
I have a Yamaha P105 Digital Piano. Recently I bought a pair of Yamaha HS5 studio monitors and connected them to the P105. The high frequency tones in the grand piano mode are very distorted and do not come from the tweeter. All other modes(electri piano, strings, rock organ etc...) are crystal clear.

However when I connect my headphones to the P105 piano, all sounds in all modes(including the grand piano mode) are crystal clear for all the range of frequencies.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong...?

regards,
Arnab
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Distorted Sound from Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitors

Post by markymark »

The earphones tend to give you a better indication of the sound quality - all the time as far as I am concerned. External speakers don't always. The fact that all the other sounds are sounding clearly would suggest to me that the speakers are not able to cope with the signal. I have discovered that Yamaha piano voicings tend to be sharper than most of the others. When using the grand piano, try lowering the volume on the keyboard in increasing the volume of your studio monitor. It should also allow the speakers to cope with harsher strikes on the keys when using the grand piano voice.