Pedals?????

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

mercury

Pedals?????

Post by mercury »

Hi folks, I have been learning myself piano for 6 months now, and I am now and truly stuck! What I would like to know is when to use the sustain damper pedal? I am using midi files and sheet music which doesn't say when to use pedals. So is there a rule of when to play and when not to play? And do all peices of music require the pedal to be used?

Thanks!!!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

There is no hard and fast rule for using the pedal; you need to know and understand the music you're playing, and that information cannot be gleaned from a midi file. You have to have proper lessons on a proper piano, as most pedalling is an instinctive thing needing sensitive guidance from a good teacher. With plastic pianos with a separate pedal unit, the pedal tends to 'walk', so that one is never quite sure that the pedal will be where you saw it last, and the feel is diferent to a real piano and digital pianos don't replicate the true feel or effect of a proper one. Have a few lessons with a sympathetic teacher,or start with a piece like Beethoven's 'Fur Elise' with which you will be familiar, uses the pedal extensively, yet is not too complicated.You'll soon hear if you're doing it wrong, especially if you tape the results. It really depends on how far you've got on your own, and a teacher will be able to evaluate your current level and ability. Most teachers will be willing to give you one or two lessons -rather than a whole course- to get you through a sticky patch!
jazzman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jazzman »

Lift it up when it sounds muddy. Eventually you'll naturally learn when its about to get muddy and stop it happening.
leongmingyu

Re: Pedals?????

Post by leongmingyu »

mercury wrote:Hi folks, I have been learning myself piano for 6 months now, and I am now and truly stuck! What I would like to know is when to use the sustain damper pedal? I am using midi files and sheet music which doesn't say when to use pedals. So is there a rule of when to play and when not to play? And do all peices of music require the pedal to be used?

Thanks!!!
Depress the pedal anew when the chord changes. If you want a blurry/misty effect, then use your ears. But if you want to go about learning in a serious way, there are entire books devoted to pedalling, so what knowledge we proffer here is only good enough for superficial use and light understanding.
Chimera

Post by Chimera »

just dont overdo it, it will sound better with too little pedal than too much, normally.

wait till chopin, his music would be nothing without pedal, but its rare to see a single pedal mark on the page.
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

I don't know what Chopin originally wrote, but my editions are just peppered with pedal marks, which I ignore. It's hard enough just sorting out the notes.

Strangely a couple of Lilac Series pieces (wonderful stuff) I have to hand have no pedal markings at all. Perhaps at that price (6p and 1/6p) they couldn't afford peddaling.

The advice here is fine, too little is better for your listeners and for your playing than too much. If you've progressed to the point where you want to study the correct peddaling then you won't be asking us amateurs.

Rgds.