Getting Started

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

iTimJim

Getting Started

Post by iTimJim »

Hi. New to the forum, I'm Tim based in the North West. First post, so go easy on me :)

Apologies if this is a commonly repeated question. I've done some browsing and reading, but I'm still left with a few questions or where to get started.

I've just received an m-audio Oxygen 61 for my birthday, and it has got me thinking that I'd like to be able to play quite a bit better, namely piano. Clearly it's only 61 keys, but they are full size, semi-weighted and velocity sensitive. The keyboard is connected to a PC via USB and can control various software synths such as the excellent Pianissimo. Am I all right to get started on this, or am I being foolish?

Assuming I'm not too wide of the mark with the above. The main burning question is how to start getting better. In terms of previous experience, I played a bit of keyboard when I was younger, probably on and off for about 4 years (it's now 16 years later - I'm now 32). I can read music to an extent, being slow with the treble clef, but very cumbersome with the bass - a trait of keyboard players I believe. So I'd place my self as someone who is not an absolute beginner, but not far off it.

I don't really have much time for formal tuition at the moment, but I'm looking into it locally, and have already found a few possibilities. I'm keen to potentially go down the grading route. What are my other options? I've seen a few books recommended on here, but I've also seen some PC software that looks OK too. Any recommendations?

Any other advice gratefully received.

Tim
Gill the Piano

Re: Getting Started

Post by Gill the Piano »

Your post might as well have been in Sanskrit as far as I'm concerned, Tim! I don't do electric stuff, only proper pianos and therefore can't comment. Our moderator Mark is away at the moment and he would be the best person to advise you really. So we aren't ignoring your post, it's just that the expert isn't here!
From the music point of view, if you want to do grades, a teacher would be your best bet - even if it were only fortnightly or three weeks. 'The Complete Piano Player' by Kenneth Baker is a truly excellent book for an adult teaching themselves, and - round here at least - you can get it from the library.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
iTimJim

Post by iTimJim »

Thanks guys

ism.org.uk you say? :D Maybe if my scale practices drives my wife to the grave I may need them :lol: (I found the right one though ism.org)

I'm going to get in touch with a local teacher, there's about 5 within walking distance, so that's good news. I think I remember the "Complete" series from way back when I was learning keyboard, if I remember rightly, so I'll check them out.

Thanks again.

Tim
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

iTimJim wrote:Hi. New to the forum, I'm Tim based in the North West. First post, so go easy on me :)

Apologies if this is a commonly repeated question. I've done some browsing and reading, but I'm still left with a few questions or where to get started.

I've just received an m-audio Oxygen 61 for my birthday, and it has got me thinking that I'd like to be able to play quite a bit better, namely piano. Clearly it's only 61 keys, but they are full size, semi-weighted and velocity sensitive. The keyboard is connected to a PC via USB and can control various software synths such as the excellent Pianissimo. Am I all right to get started on this, or am I being foolish?

Assuming I'm not too wide of the mark with the above. The main burning question is how to start getting better. In terms of previous experience, I played a bit of keyboard when I was younger, probably on and off for about 4 years (it's now 16 years later - I'm now 32). I can read music to an extent, being slow with the treble clef, but very cumbersome with the bass - a trait of keyboard players I believe. So I'd place my self as someone who is not an absolute beginner, but not far off it.

I don't really have much time for formal tuition at the moment, but I'm looking into it locally, and have already found a few possibilities. I'm keen to potentially go down the grading route. What are my other options? I've seen a few books recommended on here, but I've also seen some PC software that looks OK too. Any recommendations?

Any other advice gratefully received.

Tim
There really are two options to you. Going down the graded system will develop you ability to read music in written form. The other route is learning chord piano which is more common among contemporary keyboard players where written music is not absolutely necessary and big emphasis is placed on improvisation.