Grade 2 exam July 9th – OMG

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Grade 2 exam July 9th – OMG

Post by Moonlight »

Hi everyone, :)

Haven’t been on here for a while been busy and had a lot happen that made me unable to come on here and blog away.

Just an update on my progress, I have my exam on Thursday July the 9th at 11.25, about a 25 minute walk away, I think it’s in the examiner’s house had a look on Google street view where it is and it looks like a posh house. Looks like I will need a half day at work, I will go to work after the exam I think.
Pieces are ok here’s what I’m hopefully going to play well on the day ( I really hope I do... :( )

Biehl , Allegro grazioso; 2nd movt from sonatina in C – needs final tweaking, some fingering needs sorting out on the last bar of page one, more contrast between dynamics

Reinecke, Allegro moderato; 1st movt from sonatina in G - fine, My teacher couldn't nit pick at it last lesson 8) & said it sounded 'nice'.

Elissa Milne, Mozzie – a bit more practice, I still find a finger change and a kind of jump difficult in this piece.

Scales etc

If I keep a cool head and don’t rush I should be fine will all of them – I like doing the arpeggios. LH is weaker when doing the broken chords, needs more practice.

Sight reading:

The dreaded sight reading test - I’m on stage 8 of the Paul Harris, I think the learning curve is very noticeable from here from stage 7. I need more time. When I see loads of quavers in both hands and accidentals I find it painfully difficult. I must say sight reading is definitely the hardest aspect of learning the piano for me.
I looked at the specimen tests for grade 2 the other day and tried some, they certainly aren’t as hard as when I first looked at them, so something has happened.

The good thing about the Paul Harris books is it makes you face music that is harder than for the exam so when you look at what you really need to do its not so bad. My advice for someone stating a new sighting level is not to try out the Specimen tests until you come to the end of the Paul Harris book for your grade you wish to become better at.

Anyone have any tips for the exam or keeping a cool head on the day?
Gill the Piano

Re: Grade 2 exam July 9th – OMG

Post by Gill the Piano »

Rescue Remedy is good, and don't eat heavy carbs beforehand - many people say banana os ideal because of the potassium.
But you'll be fine!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks for that Dave and Gill I will keep your advice in mind. I don't like eating in the morning much anyway so theres no problem of me eating to many carbs - I might try a banana like you said. And thanks dave for the 'good luck!' , I will try to give a detailed account of how it goes so you will know what to expect too.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Moonlight wrote:Just an update on my progress, I have my exam on Thursday July the 9th at 11.25, about a 25 minute walk away, I think it’s in the examiner’s house had a look on Google street view where it is and it looks like a posh house.
How's the prep going?

I'm assuming that your teacher feels you're going to pass even if you don't?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Marky

My teacher said ‘you’ll do fine’ last lesson so I think she must have some faith in me passing, I only really want to get a pass; a higher mark will be a bonus. I just want this exam over with so I can work on repertoire and technique with her, which I’m sure she would rather do now as well.

It’s funny, I asked her if piano teachers get bored of hearing the same grade pieces over again and to some extent she does! She said she couldn’t get grade 3 piece Top Cat out of her head after having a succession of students play it and grade 2 piece Mazurka is also a really popular piece with her students.

Preps ok I think, I’m trying not to get too OCD about it, but I try to go through most of the requirements each day, and I do a few sight reading exercises when I practice too, trying not to memorise the pieces, and not to stop, which is the hardest part for me as I just want to play it correct straight away.

She’s tested me on the aural test last lesson. I completely misunderstood one part of the test, the one where the teacher plays a phrase and you hum it back. I thought you had to improvise an answering phrase for it! :oops: (She must have thought I had a really bad ear!) I understand now. I found the other bits more difficult because I was distracted as I was enjoying hearing her play the examples and couldn’t remember what part of the piece was legato or staccato etc :roll: .
Mini_mo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Mini_mo »

Good luck Moonlight. I am sure you will pass with flying colours! :piano;
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks guys :) for the good luck hope it pays off! Last lesson tomorrow before the exam! Aaaaaaahhgggg hope the lesson goes well and I don’t mess up to much in front of teacher, or she will be like OMG by student will fail! Ha ha
... :cry:

Here is my prediction on what I will do worse at: sight reading, and broken chords, some scales, might annoyingly mess up one of the pieces.

:shock:

...better go and pratice. I need to do some more shite reading...or less of it. :|
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

How the exam went

Post by Moonlight »

Awwwww Thanks guys!

Sorry for late reply had to make dinner and have a rest before blogging! So I won’t keep you waiting anymore, I'm going to go into detail for Dave and anyone else eager to know how it went!

Well I walked to the house, I don’t think it was the examiner’s well, it might have been but it looked all set up for the exam. I was called in to the hall; I could hear a grade 3 student taking their exam. A lady (well spoken; in my area!?) took my name, then I was asked to wait in the living room, there was the girl’s mum waiting in there and some others came in too to wait. I was the oldest candidate from what I saw.

Then after hearing the student finish a few minutes later I was called to wait in the hall. The lady told me to stand just outside the room, but I was slightly disoriented as I was nervous and moved too close to the exam room and she said in a shrill voice ‘wait there until the examiner calls you!’ I was like ‘ok woman, no need to get cross’.

Then a well spoken ‘yeeeeeeeeessss’ came from the room and I was allowed into a smallish room with a grand piano and a Yamaha upright. I had to do the exam on the upright. He said hello and I took a seat on the stool.

He let me have a quick go to see what the touch was like, it was ok lighter then the Kawai baby grand I have in my lessons, but too bright and quite loud. He asked me if I wanted to do scales first so I did...I can’t remember it much it’s all just a blur now. I think I did a major one first FM? The examiner said in a sing songy voice ‘ok F major please, hands together.’ I did okish on these and hands separately but when it came to Em I was so nervous I kept going into a major key so the scale sounded like some weird hybrid of minor and major, he let me skip this one :oops: :oops: .

The broken chord were okish, the arpeggios were good I think. Contrary motion scales & chromatic fine! I needed to wait a bit while he scribbled my results down.

I think I played the first piece and the second fine, even though my hands; especially the LH was shaking really badly :roll: :( . No mistakes as far as I know. I messed up the end of a phrase in Mozzie and that was annoying, it was only one duff note but it ruined the phrase :evil: .

Then I had to do one sight reading piece. I was relieved when I saw it, nice long minims in the LH and crochets in the RH. I tested it out quickly then played it, and I didn’t stop or hesitate. I know not all of it was right though but I was pleasantly surprised I managed it at all as I was so nervous.

The aural test I recon I did well at, it was pretty straightforward. He played three simple phrases in the RH and I hummed them back. Then a spot the difference in pitch or note value. Then he played a short extract and I had to say where it gets louder softer slowed down etc.

So overall not too bad, I would have liked it if the examiner and steward seemed more relaxed and down to earth, seed to posh for my area, not that I mind. I don’t know why they need to seem so cold; I guess it’s supposed to be formal. I found that kind of atmosphere didn’t help my nerves much.

But would I do it again...yes why not. I know how to handle it now. I tried a banana like you mentioned Gill, no help at all for me! And if it did help I wonder how I would have coped without one! My nerves definitely got the better of me; I’m quite peed of about get so nervous for no reason at all.

Hope that was enough details for you guys. Hope I haven’t scared you too much Dave :twisted: , but hey you played in a concert so you should be fine!
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

OMG i thought this was my post! i had my 2nd grading today at 12:33..
was as frightening as my 1st grading..!
Went in, told the lady i was nervous as hell LOL made me less nervous and i was asked if i wanted to do scales or pieces first, i opted for pieces,,
Grasioso ( on my thread is youtube vid of it) i played it good not as good as i have done as i was so nervous (anxiety problem), i messed up and stopped! she had a chat with me as she could clearly see i was a wreck, i started from the beginning and did better! then the mazurka then reviewing the situation.. messed up 1 note on scaled did Gmaj E amongst a few, contrarymotion was ok, chromatic scale was good even arpeggio, vocal i thought was good.

just a 3 week wait :)
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

dave brum wrote:You may not have as low a mark as you might think, Stu. Out of 100 candidates, well over 90 would be nervous.

And you're the right side of your Grade 2!!!!
Cheers Dave, It was weird, i knew from the start that this lady was a lot more comforting and instead of trying to continue i stopped in my attempt to let her know how i felt.

its a hinderance (spelling?), a thorn in my side a handicap, i have tried everything but nothing works. I even asked if i could do my grade 1 again just before grade 2 to help get over the nerves and relax for my 2nd.
The lady was so nice i feel like emailing them and thanking her.

Its bugging me because i know i can do a lot better, my teacher (britney lol) said i had nailed the pieces tonight 29 28 29, ill be lucky if i got 24-25 (if i am fair) in my exam..
She may have felt sorry for me ;)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote:Thanks for that detailed account of your exam, Annacakes :) Like one of my piano lesson blogs a bit!!!

'WAIT THERE TILL THE EXAMINER CALLS YOU'!!!' I wonder if she would have said that if you were a little girl of about seven on tenterhooks, or an elderly lady or man (in the case of the latter she would have been told where to go in no unclear terms!!!) The fact that you had it in a private house rather than some sort of room at a church hall or community centre or something seems a bit strange, like she'll offer to make you a nice cup of Rosy Lee post exam or something.

And you actually did it!!! The Emin scale is actually my homework for this fortnight and I am liable to (assuming you plump for the harmonic version) forget to sharpen the second F, so I tend to get a bit of a chromatic scale creep in.

When will you know???

THe AB website says I can enter for mine from the end of July onwards, but I shall wait for Anne to mention it first.

Now you can have a Mayfair piano bar crawl!!!
Hi Dave!

Yes I was inspired by your piano lesson blogs so thought I would write it like that, in lots of detail. Yeah I thought the lady was rather rude, maybe she thought I was some teenager. I think anywhere with a suitable piano can become a exam venue for the AB tests, maybe it was the examiner's house, it had family photos in the 'waiting' room. A cup of tea would of been nice! or at least a understanding stuard and examiner and like what Stuart had.

I think I was unprepared when it came to Em I forgot I had the chance to play either harmonic or melodic, I asked what one? and he said 'whatever one you wish' in his singy voice. All I can say is pratice the Em one, ...oh im sure thats the only minor scale he wanted and I blew it! :evil: Ironically I played the scale fine at home, and I didn't even try.

My teacher said we need to wait 2 (long) weeks. I think your teacher views the results online. Does anyone know If you can get a detailed account on how your exam was or is it just a bunch of numbers and a pass??????? :?: Do you get to see what the examiner was writing on the papers???? :o
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote: How are you feeling Anna? I hope you're not feeling bad.

Be prepared in the instance you may get 'Lord Dogshitt' as your examiner!!! You could always imagine them sitting on the khazi or something!!
I'm ok I'm not feeling bad about it too much, its just annoying that I couldn't play Em in the test. It would seem stupid to fail me on that alone. The examiner was ok, it was the lady that was annoying. Yes next time I will imagine them sitting on the bog.

I think the word 'relived' is how I feel , I’m happy its over and done with. I’m picking some new pieces to work on now. I think some Beethoven, Burgmueller and Bach would be nice 8) .
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you HAD gone in, the steward would've got it in the neck. That's why she told you to wait; don't take it personally!
You should've started the piano when you were a child. This way you would've perfected the art of reading upside down far more easily and your eyesight would've been up to the job! :lol:
Don't worry about your nerves; examiners know the difference between 'Whoops, mistake, because I haven't practised' and 'Whoops mistake I'm going to faint god i feel sick i want my mummy why am i doing this i practised this ten million times and i just got it bloody wrong AGAIN!'
I think you've both done really well just for going through the exam process; most adults don't, and whilst you don't need the exams the experience of being scared out of your wits and playing to a total stranger is invaluable. WELL DONE!! :piano; :mrgreen:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I meant your eyesight as required for reading examiners' comments upside down...:)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

dave brum wrote:Of course it would be your right to know what he/she is writing down, you get school reports written by your teacher and if you fail your driving test (as I did twice) the examiner writes on your Statement of Failure what you need to brush up on when you retake. So you'd think it would be like that for music exams - and even your teacher would know. Then again you can always use the Freedom of Information Act!!!
Calm down, dave! It's a music exam not a Green Peace protest!
Moonlight wrote: My teacher said we need to wait 2 (long) weeks. I think your teacher views the results online. Does anyone know If you can get a detailed account on how your exam was or is it just a bunch of numbers and a pass??????? :?: Do you get to see what the examiner was writing on the papers???? :o
Yes, of course you will get a written report without having to go the bother of inciting your human rights under the Information Act. :wink: In fact, he/she does not re-write your report - you get a copy of what the examiner writes during your exam so that they can accurately record and provide appropriate feedback and comments. The reports are taken taken back to HQ with the examiner so that comments and marks can be moderated or viewed by other examiners prior to preparing your certificate. Your report will be a mixture of scores and comments about your performance and should indicate a balance of positive points as well as areas for development.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

My results! :-)

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Folks

Thought I would let you know I got on in the exam as I have the results now, my teacher was cheeky and kept it a surprise and just handed me my certificate last lesson, she knew all that time. Well I passed with Merit I got 125 in total.

Here’s what I got for each of the sections in the test...

Pieces: A2: 25 /30, B2: 26/30, C2: 28/30

Scales and arpeggios: 15/21

Sight reading 15/21

Aural: 16/18

Only 5 marks away from a distinction! I blame it on the fact that my hands and mind were shaking all over the place. Strangely enough I got 28 in the Mozzie piece and it’s the only piece I remember making a mistake in but I did correct it, it’s interesting I played it the best out of the others although my favourite piece is B2.The thing I need to work on is tonal contrast and getting more musical effect into the pieces it said on the paper.

Anyway I’m well chuffed with it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :piano;
...and btw, thank you teacher! :wink:
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: My results! :-)

Post by StuartAU »

Excellent well done!
I hope i get something near that, doubt i will but fingers crossed..
125 is good when we both know we could do better without being put on the spot so to speak.
Will let you know how i did when i get the info ;)
Not sure whether im looking forward to it or not!
Well done and heres to grade 3!! Ive already learned 1 piece off by heart LOL ;)
Stu
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks Stuart and Dave!

Stuart I’m sure you have got a good mark, your recordings are good enough, but it’s so annoying our nerves get in the way. Think of overcoming nerves as just other technical exercise, its all part of the learning process but maybe more of a challenge for adult students.

Try to play your pieces in music shops... if they sell pianos! It can be a confidence booster.

I’m going to give grades a bit of a breather for now to work on the technical side of things, gain more repertoire and pick up on sight reading! :x :) My teacher already wants me to learn 3 Burgmuller studies, a Beethoven dance and for fun, good old minuet in G.
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

Moonlight wrote:Thanks Stuart and Dave!
good old minuet in G.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Minuet in G is what my teacher gave to me! last week, that is uncanny
Infact im gonna reply with the score to prove it lol
thanks
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Minuet in G is what my teacher gave to me! last week
Lol! that is funny, must be a piece for our leval. There's a lovely minuet in G minor that is very similar to the G major one its worth learning after, its also by the same composer.

its ok you don't need to show me the score I have it already! :wink:
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

Just thought it was strange we both had teh same.. i scanned it on but wont upload.

What frightens me is that my Teacher said Minuet in G is about a grade 1 piece and im struggling a bit with it lol

Is it a grade 1 piece?>
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

OMG just got my results and i just scrapped a DISTINCTION with 130 points !!!!!!!!!!
Like last time I cannot believe it, the examiner must have felt sorry for me lol..
I have attached my examiners sheet for you to read though i cant make some of it out..

Thanks everyone for your help, i doubt i would have made 130 without the help i got here!

Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Yeeeeeesssssssssss! Well done that boy!! :D
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Wow! Well done stuart, you did soooooooo much more better then you thought! :D hope I have your examiner next time lol :mrgreen: . Good luck with grade 3 too!
Well done that boy!!
*chough*...and girl...(?) :wink:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

WHERE did it say Anna passed her exam??? I thought it was referring to her last exam! And now I've upset her... :( :sad: I didn't realise....oooo, I'm sorry cherub; REALLY well done! Better than Stuart!! :lol: :mrgreen:
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

Gill the Piano wrote:WHERE did it say Anna passed her exam??? I thought it was referring to her last exam! And now I've upset her... :( :sad: I didn't realise....oooo, I'm sorry cherub; REALLY well done! Better than Stuart!! :lol: :mrgreen:
Now thats sexism?
Dave "the political one" sort them out LMAO

Look trust me it was luck that i hit 130.. i think more 124 ;)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Gill the Piano wrote:WHERE did it say Anna passed her exam???
Thanks Gill! :D ( I'm not upset! I was just like weres my 'well done?' :lol: )

Here it is if you can't be asked to read through all the other posts:
Well I passed with Merit I got 125 in total.
Here’s what I got for each of the sections in the test...

Pieces: A2: 25 /30, B2: 26/30, C2: 28/30

Scales and arpeggios: 15/21

Sight reading 15/21

Aural: 16/18
Gill the Piano wrote:I thought it was referring to her last exam!
This exam was my first one I took, I never did grade 1 :mrgreen: .
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

u went straight onto 2?
Where in Essex u from?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

StuartAU wrote: Dave "the political one" sort them out LMAO
lol sorry Stuart this is all in good humour of course! :wink: :)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

StuartAU wrote:u went straight onto 2?
Where in Essex u from?
Yep. My very first piano teacher said to me I wont be able to do grade 1 untill December this year! :o but she left and my new teacher I had said you should skip grade one and go stright to preparing for grade 2 8) . I'm from Ilford, I'm not a chav though :mrgreen:.

Where abouts are you from Stuart?
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

Moonlight wrote:
StuartAU wrote:u went straight onto 2?
Where in Essex u from?
Yep. My very first piano teacher said to me I wont be able to do grade 1 untill December this year! :o but she left and my new teacher I had said you should skip grade one and go stright to preparing for grade 2 8) . I'm from Ilford, I'm not a chav though :mrgreen:.
I asked about skipping grade 1 and my teacher looked at me like she was gonna kill me LOL
Well done"
Oh and as for being from Ilford, you can take the girl out of Ilford but you cant take the Ilford out of a gurl!

Not far from you, just on border of Herts/Essex Waltham Abbey way just up M11, Jnc 25 of the M25 :)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks. To be honest I was unsure of skipping the grade, I’m the one that gave my teacher a funny look. Ha I guess I will always be an Essex girl or and Ilford girl! Wow thats not too far from me! Next time me and Dave meet in London you could meet up too if you like. We met up and went to the music shop Chappell and annoyed the sales people in there! ‘ can both of you not play on the pianos at the same time please!’ one of them warned us, we were playing on two piano that were very close to eachother and it wasn’t a duet or a piece for 2 pianos! :lol: :lol:
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

Lol... was only messing about with the sexism, though girls seem to be better pianist than men from what i see..

Shenley i know fairly well, elstree, southmimms london colney is like 15 mins drive from me..

Wheres this piano shop your on about? i always fear playing on their Keyboards as whilst im shaking playing my mazurka, some 7 year old kid walks up and plays Bach fugue & tocata in D minor standing on his head blindfolded as i slowly slip away lol..

I know Romford/Ilford pretty well too being a Westham Fan waheyyy (no dodgey comments plz) ;)
I will upload my Minuet in G soon, more or less there with it i think :)
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

East Pork? lost me on that one.. DiCanio was a master and i was truly gutted when he left..

I thought Fascists was members of the UAF Unite or Searchlight lol ie Ken Livingston
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

Thanks Dave, i wasnt taught any of that at school but only by what i see and hear. but thanks for the run down..
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

StuartAU wrote:though girls seem to be better pianist than men from what i see..
Thats intresting I always thought men had the advantage as they usally have bigger hands then women, so doing the fancy things like really fast octaves etc would be much more eaiser for men. Of course the most beautiful pieces aren’t all thundering octaves and really wide chords, so women with a small stretch aren't missing out on too much :wink: .
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote: How is your shiny new acoustic piano fund looking??
Ha! its looking rather crap @ £ 00.00 at the moment, I'm still not being paid (only travel ), but am staying on longer at work, if they keep me on I should be having some money by october; then I will be saving up in earnest. Ooooooooh I would kill for a reall piano :twisted:
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

I just "mentioned" getting a new Piano to my missus (if looks could kill i wouldn tbe typing this)!
Mine is alright but after playing on others there is no comparison. But liek anything, the grass is always greener and ill wanting a Massive Pipe Organ set up in my Lounge lol
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Moonlight wrote:
StuartAU wrote:though girls seem to be better pianist than men from what i see..
Thats intresting I always thought men had the advantage as they usally have bigger hands then women, so doing the fancy things like really fast octaves etc would be much more eaiser for men. Of course the most beautiful pieces aren’t all thundering octaves and really wide chords, so women with a small stretch aren't missing out on too much :wink: .

Most teachers I tune for say that on the whole girls practise more than boys, practise more methodically than boys, and are under less peer group pressure about music being an effeminate pastime! :roll:
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

Sorry Dave, somehow the tick box to notify of a reply seems to undo itself?

Anyway, my Teacher sent me a text & email with screenshot of the results, drove down there and picked it up :)