I need to find cheaper home insurance

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

tobrien

I need to find cheaper home insurance

Post by tobrien »

Having announced I was teaching piano from home, my current insurer immediately withdrew cover and I ended up finding an insurer who would provide cover for an exorbitant £900 p.a. premium (more than double my previous premium). Can anyone advise where I can find a reasonably priced insurer - one who accepts the argument that my household contents are considerably less at risk of theft now that I'm at home most of the day than when the house was left wholly unoccupied during office hours perhaps! I have around 10 to 15 students visiting my house per week.
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Hi,

I think that's ridiculous, as you say you are at home more.

Name and shame them here!
ginevrastar

Post by ginevrastar »

Get the piano insured by Allianz and then don't bother mentioning it your other home insurance company. Or say it's separately insured.
pault

Post by pault »

I would go to co-op home insurance. As well as being very competively priced, the fact that you teach music at home does not affect the premium. In fact you do not have to give details of this as the question on the application merely asks if your home is used for any business purposes 'apart from private tuition'. This is the first insurer that i have seen phrase this question that way.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Its not the items getting nicked is mrs Jones tripping over your cat The insurance will have to pay out

Quite a few would make you take out commercial insurance

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page