Nooooo member.

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Theoldgit

Nooooo member.

Post by Theoldgit »

Hi, everybody.
At the grand old age of 50, I have finally decided to try to learn the piano! I have bought a basic Yamaha keyboard and am on the first steps. After about a week, I can now read basic music and bang out a few stuttering little tunes!
I am afraid to say that lessons are looking a little unlikely due to financial restraints, so could anybody recommend any books or other forms of tuition? Also, could you please tell me how to work the left hand at the same time as the right one????!!!!!!

:lol:

Many thanks.
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hello and welcome, TOG!

It's nice to feel like a youngster! I'm *only* 42 and have also just started learning. My husband really likes the Kenneth Baker book that Dave mentioned, but I'm using Carol Barratt's book. There's a book recommended by my teacher, by Fanny Waterman, it is aimed a children, but this just means it keeps things simple, which is fine by me!

Each of these books helps you start with one hand at a time and, as Dave says, gradually bring them together. On a new piece, I usually practice each part separately and then bring them together once I've got the idea of the "pattern" each hand makes on the keyboard. Try not to look at your hands while playing and reading the music as, if you're like me, you'll lose your place!

I'd also recommend "Music Theory in Practice" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Theory-Pr ... 421&sr=8-4 and the book that accompanies it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AB-Guide-Music- ... pd_sim_b_2 The first book is for you to write in and the second one is for a little light reading, you may be able to get that from your library.

Good luck with your learning, keep posting and let us know how you are getting on. No question is too stupid around here (I should know :D )

All the best,
Jan
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi and welcome, Git! :shock: :lol: ( love the username! )

Heres some books I can recommend but it depends on what you want to be able to play. Are you more in to the modern piano stuff, or jazz or are you into classical ? Heres some books I have that you might want to check out:

Progressive Beginner Piano by Gary Turner ( price is roughly 12.95 )

This book covers the basics and has a mix of adapted modern well know tunes and classical, jazz arrangements, seems to lean more to chord based piano. It comes with a DVD and Cd so you can watch the person play the tune and see the score as they take you through the tune.

A New Tune A Day by Moria Hayward ( 14.95 )

This book is similar to the one mentioned above covers the basics and has a mix of adapted modern well know tunes and classical arrangements. It also comes with a DVD and Cd.

John Thomson's Adult Preparatory Piano Book ( 5.95 )

Rather old fashioned approach to piano learning, covers Classical, Folk and traditional piano music. Has some useful Hanon exercises in there to help you with technique etc.

hope this helps! :) and good luck
Theoldgit

Post by Theoldgit »

Many thanks for the replies up to now!
Moonlight, I would love to play classical but I think I need to be realistic! Chopin is a little way off yet....... So it's a case of if I can play it, it's my style!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Nooooo member.

Post by Moonlight »

Theoldgit wrote: Also, could you please tell me how to work the left hand at the same time as the right one????!!!!!!
I'm not a teacher or anything, I have only been learning for a short time, 8 months. But this worked for me, in the early stages. What you will need to do is get used making your hands do something together, coordination exercises.

One of them is mentioned in one of the books I have, is to tap your right hand on your lap to a regular beat of 1234 1234 etc. then to every beat tap your left hand twice to it. both your hands will be doing something diffrent at the same time. Then swap hands. It will be hard at first but you want to be able to swap hands istantaneously without interrupting the beat, eventually.

This is something I used to do as a 'warm up' to wake up my hands and to get myself to be able to press the keys I want. Because it can be hard in the early stages to get you fingers to move together when you want them to! :roll: .

Put your hands in five finger position: your thumb is on C, index finger on D, 3rd finger on E, ring finger on F and little finger on G. Then press them in order: CDEFG and then in reverse GFEDC . Do this ten times on each hand separately before your pratice ( its boring I know) it will be hard at first but you will get quicker at it and I think its a good way of geting your hands to wake up. When you can do this you can to them together.

Hope these ideas help, you can make up your own ones too.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Theoldgit wrote:Moonlight, I would love to play classical but I think I need to be realistic! Chopin is a little way off yet....... So it's a case of if I can play it, it's my style!
Yeah I'm too scared to play Chopin at the moment! :lol:, have managed Beethoven, and a bit of Bach.

But yeah, the John Thomson's Prep Piano Book, has some nice classical arrangements, like Tchaikovsky's Marche Slave, Mozart's sonata in A major theme, Dvorak's New World Symphony theme.

But when you do get a piano book to go through, do pay attention to the finger signs; they are only there to make your life a little easier! :lol: :wink:
Daniel Kwon

Good start~!

Post by Daniel Kwon »

Hello,

If you have just started playing it, I think the reason why you felt your left and right could not go along is..

1. You left fingers are not balanced, because you have never used finger muscles before.
2. Your hand posture and figures of fingers are not stable enough on the keys.

But, you do not have to be worried or concerned about it, because evereybody feels the same when they begun playing it.
The best thing you can do at your stage is, in my personal opinion,..

1. Get the book named "HANON". This is the basic book to train fingers as well as all necessary basic techniques.

2. Personally, I would say, it is very important not to lose your interest in playing piano. Many beginners (around me) are decided to quit when they are stuck in some point of learning and they felt really bored when keeping playing Hanon for a while. Therefore, I would like to suggest that you need to keep practicing a easy "target piano work". for examples, "Green sleeves", "Canon, edited by George Winston" or "White christmas".

Bach or Chopin may be too difficult to play as well as to interpret in your stage, I would dare to say.

Thank you and sorry for improper language skills that may cause you a misunderstandings or confusions when you read it.

Best regards
Dan
Always with best regards
Theoldgit

Post by Theoldgit »

Thanks, everybody.
Theoldgit

Post by Theoldgit »

dave brum wrote:Can you play, say 3 notes C D and E an octave apart with both hands, then build it up to a C major scale with both hands?
Yes I can. It's playing different notes that is the problem!!!!! But, I'm sure time and practise may help.....!!!!
I need to find some pieces which gradually introduce the left hand, I guess. If anybody knows any I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hello TOG, if that's the stage you're at, I'd definitely recommend the Kenneth Baker book or Fanny Waterman book. Good luck!

Jan
xx