GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR LESSON, ANNA!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Knock 'em bandy Anna!

I can't wait to hear how you get on.

Jan
xx
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Ahhhh Thanks you guys! :)

Now I have two threads dedicated to me :D , where should I post the news after my lesson, in here or 'Moonlights got...' :?: :?: :?:

Gota get off here and do some last mintue playing. I feel as if I'm getting ready to do a recital, its ONLY my 1st lesson; I bet most people don't even remember it coz there were probably 5 when they had theirs! :roll:

I hope I do take to that grand like a duck to water! :shock:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

SORRY GUYS

Post by Moonlight »

Sorry Guys! :( :(

But my teacher wasn't there, I turned up but she was ill so I need to wait and phone her to re-arrange when my 1st lesson will be... Oh poo!
:( :( :( :( :(
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Yeah I guess so, I'm not too sad about it, just a bit :( . I WILL have my lesson!!!!! don't know when, but you will be the first to know as always!

Don't save up to buy me a Steinway, save up for your own one!!! good luck! how much are they? 35 grand?!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: or is that the price for the baby ones? :shock: :oops: my dream is to own a Yamaha grand one day...I think there about 7,000 :?: :?: :?:

My mum did the lottery, so if we win I am so going to by a Steinway, I would buy you one too Dave if we win a lot! :wink:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote: :( PLEASE just for me Anna don't be down in the mouth :( you will have that first lesson, it's just going to be later than you planned it, that's all.
Don't worry Dave I'm quite an upbeat kind of person so much so I did want my user name on this site to be ANACRUSIS! :roll: :lol:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

I think Nutroast's quote about music being one of lifes essentials should go down in history with Shakespeare's quote!

I feel for you Dave! hope the news isn't too bad. :(
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

....a prayer, a Shakespear quote and an "Oh B*ll*cks" from me. I'm sorry about your lesson Anna.

{{{hugs}}}

Jan
xx

PS. Can you tell I went to a comprehensive?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hey Nutroast!

I love that picture you got there! who is it Scrooge !? so so funny :)

I was thinking of having a pic of countess Julie Guicciardi ( the lady Beethoven dedicated the Moonlight sonata to) for my one.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Not too sure who that is as I don't watch Strictly!

I'm fine thanks!

Thats nice Dave, that you had a lot of fun showing off your piano prowess in front of Linzy! It would be so cool if we all lived closer to eachother and could meet up and go on a piano shop crawl and try out all the pianos in the shops, to the annoyment of the shop keepers! 'Are you going to buy that?! Miss?'
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Moonlight wrote:Hey Nutroast!

I love that picture you got there! who is it Scrooge !? so so funny :)
That's what I think I'll look like in a few years from now, I plan to spend my dotage as a grumpy old woman ;-)

Jan
xx
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

I'm already a grumpy young woman, just need to get old. :wink:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hey Hey Dave! liking that pic you got there! :)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

I'm shocked :shock: I can't even find a picture of countess Julie Guicciardi on google! but Bach and Beethoven comes up and I found a site called madaboutbeethoven.com Looks like I might need to scan her in and then put her on an image library site.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

found a picture of her but it was massive! I could put one of my illustrations in, I have a cartoon piano I drew. What site is easy to upload your images so i can use the URL thing to find it and put it here?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Its ok I'm not too bothered about having a picture! I do have a website but you wont find it on google and I can't link the images from the site to here.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

I found a nice image of the moon over some water but its too big. :(
Never mind...
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Whats hanon number 3 like? not sure if I have it or not, theres a few in my John Thomson book I know about 3 from there, then theres the ones I told you about hanon 1 and 2 and I had a go from one from the virtuoso pianist by hanon the exercise is in semiquavers though.

I have a Czerny book too I would like to get round to doing, but theres sooo much on one page.

When I get my lesson I can go through the hanon book I have with my teacher. I don't want to do it now was I want to her to show me the correct technique to play them.

Have you been through them with your teacher?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

hey Dave,

Yes could you send the hanon number 3 over to me please! I have a short one I could give you, it teaches you four note pharasing, its quite nice to play esp with both hands, but I still sometimes have a bit of a problem geting the hands to work together on that one.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks Dave!

Ooooh its in semiquavers, I'll try my best to play it up to speed. I find the more your fingers / hand relaxes when doing it, the faster your hand can do it and you can kind of do them with out thinking about it too much.
The key ( this is not a pun :roll: ) is geting the finger to relax after its presed the key and avoid too much tension in the hand.
louttrim
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by louttrim »

hi all

just to say that Dave played *brilliantly* with me there.. he made hardly any mistakes. I was really impressed!! Give yourself a pat on the back Dave!! :lol:

Linzy x
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Moonlight wrote:I found a nice image of the moon over some water but its too big. :(
Never mind...
Email it to me and I'll scale it for you

xx
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Jan! :)

Its ok I could scale it myself, its just I don't know what site to upload the image to so I can put its URL in the avitar thing on this site.

Any sites where I can up load my image to easily :?:
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

I use http://photobucket.com/. You upload the photo, then click to edit it and change the size.

Hope this helps.

Jan
xx
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Sorry if that was a rather terse answer! I'm swotting for my lesson and I've got a work meeting between now and then too :(

Catch you later.

Jan
xx
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks for that Nutroast! I'll sign up with them and then sort out a pic for myself... :) :)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Dave

How are you today!

Did some pratice, Grade ones are ok so I got back to learning Moonlight again, I had left it alone for about a week to re-learn the other stuff. One more page to go! that means I have learned two pages of proper classical music! :D

Ok ok sorry to go on but I have aways wanted to play it and now I'm on my way to doing it!, You would understand when you mange to play your fist piece of 'proper' music :) yay!

Just wish I had an acoustic to play it on, then I could control the timbre of the melody better.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

careful Dave :shock: :shock: He might decide not to do a tour neer the Hereford area! :wink:
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I'd LOVE to stop midway through the Abegg Variations and just scream BOGEYS and then run away. . . . .So please, feel free to do what you want to my pic. Hey those of you who looked, you know what I look like, perhaps we should have a forum members photo thread???
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

. . . .but as for The View, well I WOULD invite them to be my support act but the singer would do coke on top of the piano and leave marks on the polyester finish . . . . also i lost his phone number :wink:
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

nothing to do with me! I live at the other end of town. The Dryburgh estate is kind of on the way to Perth, near the Crematorium which ironically has a fire station across the road from it! :twisted:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote: That's unusual isn't it, a piano recital in a piano shop? Or is it in some way sense?
They do free recitals in Chappel of Bond street I think in the weekdays, but I haven't been to one of them yet. Maybe Joseph could do one in there one day - just a thought.

The one I was thinking of going to was for Beethoven piano concerto 5, not the one at Bluthners, I would want to buy a posh piano you see, and as you know I'm skint :cry: .
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Anna just say you're my cousin or something. lol.

I'm skint too. I have a semi posh piano and one used to be posh but now is clapped out totally piano. I'm still paying the semi posh one off, paying my recording fee, paying my mortgage, paying the freaking gas and lecky bills. Amidst all the financial crap, there is always money left for that pint. . .
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

how true. and i wouldnt be allowed a piano.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

ah, the joys of headphones! They cut out the sound of the piano, but not the keys! I just subject my neighbours to beethoven full pelt when I get home from school.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

she thinks you're into claviphilia? oh serious. . ..
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

joseph wrote:Anna just say you're my cousin or something. lol.
I'm skint too. . .
Yeah I could do! :lol: but I'm REALY skint I'm out of work :( , I just have enough money to get some much needed piano lessons every fortnight, for half an hour. Don't think I would even have enough for a deposit for a posh piano, so I need to make do with my cheep(ish) & cheerful Clavinova!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

well in these hard financial times, music teachers will soon be on the dole queue - music is always the first thing to be scrapped isnt it!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Moonlight wrote:
dave brum wrote: That's unusual isn't it, a piano recital in a piano shop? Or is it in some way sense?
They do free recitals in Chappel of Bond street I think in the weekdays, but I haven't been to one of them yet. Maybe Joseph could do one in there one day - just a thought.

the Chappell series is for currently enrolled students at UK conservatoires. Alas I am now old.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

is she the one that does that 'singing talking?' were they don't sing but kind of talk the words. Like The Streets? not in to that 'music'

Graphic designers are having a hard time too, I heard on the news today. OH B#####KS! :evil: just when I'm job hunting.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

:oops: never heard of kate nash. yeah everyone is in the poop just now so lets just keep playing our pianos! however good they may be or not be, we'll still have fun (for those of you with digitals only, sorry about the energy price rises!)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

joseph wrote:the Chappell series is for currently enrolled students at UK conservatoires. Alas I am now old.
Oh I didn't know, I thought anyone good could do it, away its too far for you to go unless you happen to be in London.

I really must get going as I seem to be on here more these days the praticing :oops: the piano :roll: ; nah actally my eyes are hurting from looking at a screen all day.

see you guys later! :)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

dave brum wrote:oh well, it's a piano forum not slagoffyourwife.co.uk - so best we stay with pianos before Markymark starts dropping hints again....
:| Hmmm........
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

joseph wrote::oops: never heard of kate nash.
Neither have I! I googled her to see if I had even seen her on the TV before, but when I looked, I thought it was Lindsay Lohann!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Guys I just want to say I have a piano lesson booked for this Wednesday! :D at 3.00pm. I'm going to have another teacher not the one I mentioned as the other lady jeted off to America to do a tour or something :roll: !

I don't know a grat deal about my new teacher at the moment, I will keep you guys posted! :wink:
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Great news Anna! I've made a little note to remind myself and will be thinking of you on Wednesday at 3pm.

Jan
xx
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

First lesson verdict:

:| hmmmmmm :?:

Well, first my teacher was late; which is ok as she gave me more time
( I think ) but she lives very far from this studio so may get stuck in traffic in the future.

The poor piano had cracked keys...sounded ok though; I mean it was in tune. I'm not used to acoustic pianos yet! I'm so used to my Clavinova, can't wait to buy a real one, one day!

I spent the whole lesson ( it was only 30 mins ) going over one tune, as I had got the timing wrong in a few bars and had troubble with it.

However she said I have good hand posture, and was happy that I knew my notes which was nice.

I might book another lesson however with someone else next week to see If I find it more suitable for me, I can't go into too much detail on here about it as I don't want to point fingers. For more info I will email you Dave and Jan about it if you want.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

I will email with more info after I get off this forum...

Having said all that I will go back for another lesson there, and just see how it goes next time, it could grow on me :shock: , but It wasn't my dream lesson.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Dave how many tunes etc do you mangage to get through with Ada :?: as your lessons are as short as mine!

The lesson went soo fast! :(

My dream lesson would last 2 hours! and the piano would be immaculate and be a very nice make :wink:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

:) :) :)

Hey guys!

My lesson went well! much better then before, so looks like I'm staying.
It also seemed longer too! I had a few mintues to 'muck about' so I had a crack at Bach's prelude 1 and my teacher said 'good' :) .

Anyway looks like I will also be doing my grade 1 for early next year too Dave! :shock: :D ( February ? need to look on the AB site) I'm quite scared about it, but my teacher thinks I could be ready to do it, so we are working on the grade pieces.

Worked on the Vialdi piece today, I had got most of it right, but had started to use weird fingering for it; so we got that sorted out ( its my homework )

I am happy to get a teacher, I can now start to do things properly! :wink:

Chopin here I come! :)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Dave

Yeah I am rather happy! actually I have had one 1 hour lesson so far if you add both of them up, I guess.

Its funny me and my teacher mentioned exams in the first lesson ! :shock: but she did say, ' I don't want to just enter people for exams I want them to do it properly' so shes not one of those teachers that just pushes for grades etc.

I'm geting used to the acoustic piano too! still a bit weird, but they seem nicer to press, much more smooth. Those Yamaha Clav brochures are misleading, Clavs hardly have any heaver action on the bass, then a real piano! so you need to press harder on the bass on a real piano.