What are we all learning to play at the moment?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

What are we all learning to play at the moment?

Post by sparkley »

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we could tell everyone what pieces we're currently learning, what pieces we've just perfected, or what we're struggling to play!

At the moment I've just finished working through the book 'Its never too late to play piano' by Pam Wedgewood, and I'm now working on a couple of pieces from the 'Crossing Borders' series book 2.

I'm also practising exercises from A Dozen a Day! I'm onto the last set of exercises in Book 2 but I'm find them a bit of a struggle! They're beginning to get much tougher, but its so rewarding when you can play through them!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'm playing Busoni (arrangement of Bach Chaconne). Busoni's winning. :(
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

While I was in Australia, I came across "The Funeral March" by Chopin. I had heard of the piece but had never heard it played - or so I thought until I started sight-reading through the piece. Not an overly complicated piece, but the real treasure is to be found in the middle section of the piece - just when the music calms and becomes more sentimental. Very moving....
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi everyone! :)

What a fantastic idea sparkley! :D I have just managed to play ' Moccasin Dance' (Its quite an aggressive sounding piece in A minor) on page 47 of John Thompon's Adult Preparatory Piano Book, recently worked out how to play the etude on the next page (just), and will soon be able to move on to the next piece called 'The dancing lesson'.

I was wondering though, the etude says 'animato' and I know that it means 'with animation' but what bit is animated? the speed or the way you play the piece. Do I play it fast? Anybody??

Hi Dave!

I know what you mean about buying some music and it was to hard. I bought the ' I can play that! Classical Masterpices' book got it home then realised It has hardly any finger signs! I am completely lost without the signs. But I did give Pachebel's Canon a go by trying to work out the fingering and I can play a few bars quite convincingly.

Charitly shops are really good places to go to get sheet music, I got 23 issues of 'The chidren's treasury of beautiful classics' (book 9 was missing) for a few quid because the shop was closing down. The books are realy old and are from the 30s. I needed to go through them and stick the pages with new tape because the tape the people had used before me was coming off and the staples were rusty! I won't be able to play them now but hopefully when I'm grade 3 I can start?
Last edited by Moonlight on 15 Aug 2008, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

I've been working on the Prelude from Bach's English Suite No3 and a really lovely Impromptu by Glazunov. My fingers are itching to get started on my next projects - the Gavotte from the same English Suite, Ravel's Sonatine and one of the Brahms' Rhapsodies but they are going to have to wait until the glorious 2nd September when school starts again and I regain some "me" time![/b]
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Well, just started my 3rd grade three piece...the A3 one in the current book...Allegretto by Turk, having done the Hoffman B piece and the Bartok C piece.

In addition to that doing some sightreading, but for pleasure have learned some Will Baily pieces (very underrated), plus i wonder by Abba from the grade three prep books by Chester Music arranged by jerry lanning...
Learning, but really enjoying!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Has anyone recently had a go at "Flight Of The Bumblebee"? Fingering can be a bit a nightmare with all of those accidentals. I think an orchestral rendition does the piece more justice.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Mark,

Personally I think 'Flight of the Bumblebee' sounds really cool on the piano, not that I could even think about having ago at it at grade 0 :lol: .
I was wondering though, out of interest what grade level is Flight of the Bumblebee?
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

Celestite wrote:I've been working on the Prelude from Bach's English Suite No3 and a really lovely Impromptu by Glazunov. My fingers are itching to get started on my next projects - the Gavotte from the same English Suite, Ravel's Sonatine and one of the Brahms' Rhapsodies but they are going to have to wait until the glorious 2nd September when school starts again and I regain some "me" time![/b]
I think the Ravel Sonatine is a wonderful piece. Getting those repeated notes in the first movement is a real test for the player AND the piano. Any instrument without a first class action just couldn't cope! Then a nice restful second movement, before a really testing finale - with a really exhilarating last page.

Best of luck with it!
(Is it the G minor Rhapsody?)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Re the Ravel; Class A drugs might help...! And I'm not sure that 'exhilarating' is the term I'd use for the last page! I love the way it shimmers through the keys. My teacher occasionally said 'What key are we in now dear?' and my response was always 'God knows!'
Fortunately she has a sense of humour.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Moonlight wrote:Personally I think 'Flight of the Bumblebee' sounds really cool on the piano, not that I could even think about having ago at it at grade 0 :lol: .
I was wondering though, out of interest what grade level is Flight of the Bumblebee?
I would have thought Grade 6, roughly.....
Taking the tempo and stamina of the music, possibly even Grade 7?
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

I'm thoroughly looking forward to the Ravel. It is one of the first pieces I ever heard my duet partner play all those eons ago at college. Roll on September!
I played the Gminor rhapsody donkey's years ago as a teenager and just to prove my advancing years, I had a senior moment when I said I was going to start on a rhapsody - it is actually a ballade (knew it wasn't one of the intermezzi!) Op 118 no 3 for those who are interested. Oddly enough, in Gminor!
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

Making some progress on a couple of the new grade 7 pieces (A2 - Haydn_Allegro_di_molto and B1 Faure_Andante_Moderato) Struggling with C1, the blues piece though. Isn't flight of the bumblebee, at least the version I heard from 'Shine' well past grade 8 at the speed it needs to be played? Not seen the sheet music though. I've got flight of the bumblebee on my list of things I aim to play at some point in the future before I'd be comfortable to call myself a pianist along with Fantasie impromptu (maybe some time in 2015?) and the speedy 3rd movement, if that's the correct term, from moonlight sonata.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i'm learning the emperor concerto by beethoven, well, re learning it for a concert in november, also working on a programme for a short recital tour.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Don't forget to put an announcement in the concert bit of this website, will you?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Oh! I love Beethoven's piano concerto No 5 (especially the adagio), this concert your doing in November is it anywhere near London is it??

Wow, it must be so exciting and nerve-racking playing with an orchestra!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

my beethoven 5 concert is in london, and yes its a wonderful thing playing a concerto. Its so nice to be on stage with a large group of musicians to achieve one common goal, that sounds almost hippy but its true!

I'm going to post more details in the concert section soon. . . . .
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

OK, here goes:

For my Performer's Certificate at Trinity:

Mozart Fantasy in C minor K475
Beethoven Rondo in C op 51 no 1
Chopin Mazurka in A minor op 59 no 1
Chopin Nocturne in B op 32 no 1

and because I am a sucker for punishment

Chopin's Heroic Polonaise
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

thats a beautiful programme! Good luck and enjoy the music!
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

dave brum wrote:I'm working my way (extremely slowly) through Kenneth Baker's Complete Piano Player and have reached Book 5.
I've got that on order from Amazon!

I'm currently working through the Classic Piano Course by Carol Barratt.

Jan
Nigel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Nigel »

A bit different for me!!

As I'm new to piano (7 hrs of lessons completed) I am working on "a little help from my friends" by Lennon/McCartney, "Starlight" by Muse and my favourite, "great gig in the sky" by Pink Floyd- really enjoying some of the lovely sounding chords.

Regards

Nigel
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

I'm trying a new piece at the moment from a book The Soft Music Piano Bridge Over The Classics, but its really hard!!
SusanElizabeth
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by SusanElizabeth »

I am fed up with my exam pieces so bought the REALLY easy Beatles piano book. I can just about play the tunes but would like them to be even easier. I would like to play something nicely first time and not have to work at it. Why isn't playing the piano like reading a book? You can pick up any book and read it aloud straight away. Even with a really easy piano piece, I have to play it over and over again to get anywhere!
Sue
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

SusanElizabeth wrote: Why isn't playing the piano like reading a book? You can pick up any book and read it aloud straight away. Even with a really easy piano piece, I have to play it over and over again to get anywhere!
Have you forgotten those years between the ages of perhaps 2 and 11, when you were developing the skills to read a book fluently? Reading music is really the same! Don't expect it to develop overnight; but it WILL develop and it will become as natural as reading words. Do a little every day. In a week's time (or a month or several months) go back and play something you find hard now. That's when you will see the progress.

Best of all, music is an international language, so once you've learnt to read it you can tackle music from any country. With the spoken/written language, exploring the literature of other countries can mean starting from scratch with a new language. This is the great advantage of music.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Just thought I would revive this old(ish) post... What are we all learning then, any thing new?

I'm currently getting my teeth into ( or should I say fingers ) Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata 1st movement. Its the real version, not one in D minor or anything. So far so good! :) I'm up to bar 14 now, but having a bit off difficulty with all that hand stretching, my poor hands don't do octaves that easily :( . But I'm so happy :) I can actually play a piece I have a strong emotional attachment to, the very slight hand ache is worth it.

I also need to prefect my grade 1 pieces.
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

Just begining Fur Elise! I know, I'm being ambitious but I'm addicted to that melody.
I've completed everything in the ABRSM Grade 1 book and that material combined with what I'm doing in Hanon seems to have worked wonders.
Also reading a fascinating book titled "How to Play the Piano Despite Years of Lessons". The subtitle is "What Music is and How to make it at Home". It provides a marvelous insight into how music is structured and how to recognise those structures. The insights provided are helping me a lot.
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoAngel »

To be honest, I haven't learned anything new on the piano since I graduated in November, unless I've been paid to (mostly accompaniments).

But reading this forum has been so, so inspiring!! Listening to all you guys talk about how much practice you're doing, and how much you want to learn the next difficult piece, has reminded me why I wanted to study piano in the first place.

So, on Tuesday I just started learning Rachmaninov's Prelude in G minor, Op.23 No.5. I've always loved the sound of it, but been too scared of playing it 'badly' to even try. Seeing how much courage you all have in your playing has made me quite ashamed of myself, and I'm determined to give it a go!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Is it a simplified version you are playing? Für Elise is not Grade 1 standard as I'm sure you know! Still, a nice piece to work at...
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

Is it a simplified version you are playing?
Marky - I'm really not sure! I'm working from a book, "Piano Classics - 90 Timeless Pieces from the Masters." At a guess, I'd say it is the full version.

Piano Angel - Good luck with the Rachmaninov! Delighted you find inspiration here. Can you imagine just how much we beginners would like to be at your level? Don't give up - please inspire us too!
I have Vladimir Ashkenazy on CD playing a selection of Rachmaninov's piano transcriptions - superb!
The film "Shine" centered on the Rach 3 - I must say that piece didn't make sense to me. But the scene in which David Helfgot enters the local restaurant, rain-soaked with a soggy fag in his mouth, and despite jeers from the manager, launches into the Flight of the Bumblebee, did/does send shivers up my back every time I see it. In fact, I only have to think about and they come. Oops! - there they go again.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

PianoAngel wrote:To be honest, I haven't learned anything new on the piano since I graduated in November, unless I've been paid to (mostly accompaniments).
Being music co-ordinator and music director in my church, I know exactly what you mean!
PianoAngel wrote:So, on Tuesday I just started learning Rachmaninov's Prelude in G minor, Op.23 No.5. I've always loved the sound of it, but been too scared of playing it 'badly' to even try. Seeing how much courage you all have in your playing has made me quite ashamed of myself, and I'm determined to give it a go!
I would love to tackle that one too! But time - and patience at the moment - are against me!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

No... unfortunately I couldn't pull off the whole floral dress and cardigan look that tends to go with many of the organists I've come across! I have stood in for some friends in their local church and played an organ but a little too conservative compared to what I'm used to! :)
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Piano Angel - your mention of the Rachmaninov Prelude reminded me of an absolutely marvellous clip on You Tube. I'm a total techno nerd so can't do that clever thing where I type a link to it, but if you do a search for "Rachmaninov had big hands" I'm sure you'll not be disappointed. It made me cry when I first saw it (you'll see why when you get to it!)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I remember seeing that one too! I darn sure no one would be talking ignorant planks of wood to my grand piano unless they wanted me to take a plank of wood to them!
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Absolutely! I'm sure he could have given his accomplice a black eye or two if he'd really been trying!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

David B wrote:OK, here goes:

Just out of interest, is this your ATCL or LTCL you are sitting?
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

Another piece I would like to learn is the theme music from Clint Eastwood's film "Unforgiven" - Claudia's Theme. Anyone know from where it might be available for piano?
Mark Heller
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Mark Heller »

Piano Angel,

I started learning the Rachmaninov Prelude Op.23 No.5. this week too!! How are you getting on with it?

Mark
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I've played this in concerts afew times, I noticed that I rushed the E-flat major section! I then took it apart and practiced the individual motives. I'll explain it in more detail another time, I've got some laundry to hang out. By the way it was freezing cold in Dundee last night, and this morning it wasn't much better, yet now, its absolutely sweltering outside! I just don't know WHAT to WEAR!!!!!!
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Oh, Chaps! Why did you have to mention that Prelude? I learnt it years ago and now you've all given me the bug to revisit it. Trouble is, I'm already working on a Bach English Suite, a Brahms Ballade, Ravel's Sonatine and Glazunov's 2nd Impromptu. I just can't fit any more in :( So much to learn, so little time to learn it!
Do you know Rachmaninov's Elegie? I learnt it for a recital when I was at college, it is truly wonderful and definitely has that goose bump factor!
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Evening Dave
If you do a search on You Tube for the prelude we're all raving about, you'll find out why! I reckon you'll love it! My performer recommendations would be Gilels or Horowitz and they also have a recording of Rachmaninov himself playing it, just for interest.
cothse
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by cothse »

What a variety of music and skill levels here.

I am learning Chopin's Tristesse, which is immensely nicer to play than hear. And the Scherzo No. 3 of the same, which is the opposite :shock:
Pianos are such dignified instruments - they're either upright or grand!
Piano Lessonswith Master Teachers
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

markymark wrote:
David B wrote:OK, here goes:

Just out of interest, is this your ATCL or LTCL you are sitting?
Mark,

Its Performer's Certificate - post grade 8 and before the ATCL.

The new sylabub for ATCL is out now, and has a great selection for when I start that. I am particularly keen on the Beethoven Pathetique, as I love the slow movement :D