RE: Starting To Teach

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Frankie123

RE: Starting To Teach

Post by Frankie123 »

I have been teaching 2 pupils while working full time for the last year. I am looking to build this up and reduce my hours at work within the next year. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I would like to know their experiences.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I suppose you really need to consider the financial aspect of things here. Without going into personal details, you need to ask yourself if it is financially feasible to do that, based on what you are charging. I know people who have made a goog living off private piano tuition, but they have not been the only money-earner in the household. I've never really heard of a private piano teacher making millions out of their job either. As well as this, if it becomes a big project and eventually your (by 'your' I mean 'you' as an individual) only source of income, you'd need to think about taxation too and how that would impact matters too.

I hate to reduce this to finances, but where your livelihood is concerned, I can't see how this point can be overlooked to be frank.