Enrolled for Evening Classes!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Enrolled for Evening Classes!

Post by Gooday »

I've given up trying to find classes for grade 5 theory (for now), but I did manage to audition successfully for an evening class, "Level 7 piano workshop" at City Lit after a fairly shakey half a Handel Gigue some scrambled E minor scales.

It was good to meet other Adult learner pianists there, all equally nervous whilst queuing, though I didn't meet anyone who'd attended a course last year. Definitely looking forward to learning in a group.

Anyway, in case anyone would be interested, I will provide some comments on how the course goes when it starts up in September...
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'd love to know how you get on; it always intrigues me how a class piano lesson works. Several customers of mine have tried it, and as long as the teacher is good, no probs. Good luck!
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

Attended the first session last Thursday. I'm off to a bit of a shakey start - there was no welcome pack to say we'd be playing Chopin this term and my brain went to mush as I blundered through some Haydn. Nice to play a Steinway though. The standard seems high and I'm going to struggle to keep up. Bit disheartened when pointed to the Prelude No.4 by the teacher as that probably is the easiest Chopin piece I'm aware of and I think I was the only student not to obtain a 'that will sound lovely'. Oh well. I have of course ignored Prelude No.4 and will attempt to play Nocturne No.2. It's really interesting to see how nerves affect playing (some of the class play really well with considerable nervous shakes) and I do expect to eventually overcome them (wrong notes, too fast no dynamics as happened last week) but we'll see. There about 10 of us in the class and it's very informal and friendly.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I do hope you enjoy it; as the class gels you'll find you get more support from eacxhother I expect. It's all a bit fraught when you first start a class. Many of my customers who learned that way still keep in touch with their peers long after the classes themselves have stopped!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I've heard some very good reports about those adult evening classes run by public schooling colleges. It's also a very social thing too!
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

Week 4... A little bit thrown by the high standards of everyone else on the course at first and the structure being completely different from private lessons, but beginning to really enjoy the workshops. I'm practicing with real purpose - there's nothing like knowing you're going to play infront of 10 other students to focus the mind. I've memorised the Chopin Nocturne in two weeks, which is a record for me - it's first piece I've memorised so completely. There are end of term public concerts to aim for, the opportunity to work on duets and I am picking up some theory (quick fire questions in the workshops also motivate you.) I get to play a Steinway once a week and discover new pieces as they're played by the others. Just need to get the hang of handling nerves, particularly shaky fingers, and I think I'll progress much further this year than last.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hello Gooday

Where did you find out where your nearest piano course was? I would quite like to maybe enroll for one after a few years, as I'm a piano newbie at the moment. Roughly how much is your course and how long is it? just so I get an idea of what to expect when I do decide to go to one. Is your class big?

I hope I don't need to travel too far, I live in the part of Essex that is close to London but don't really want to go to all the way there for one :( .

It must be fun playing to a group, and a good way to overcome nerves too :) .
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

Hello Moonlight,

I found the course via a google search. City Lit and Morley were the colleges with courses in London. The course lasts a school year, complete with holidays such as half term a week or so ago and costs around £370, although concessions are available. Per lesson, that is actually quite cheap (weekly lessons)

Choice of classes occuring in the evening was a bit restricted though.

I'm learning a lot from the others on the course. Still wouldn't describe playing in front of the other 10 people on the course 'fun' - challenging might be better! But finally beginning to overcome the finger shakes that have been making it impossible to play well.
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

End of term concert this Thursday! Going to try to play from memory. Wish me luck...
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Gooday,

Thanks for the reply to my question, and good luck with your concert!
what are you going to play?
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

Thanks Moonlight,

I'm going play Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Oooooh thats a nice one! in Eb? I can't wait to learn a Chopin Nocturne! but its a bit far off at the moment. I'm hoping to do my grade 1 in February :shock: .
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

That's right, Eb major. Good luck with Grade 1!
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

went well I think. :) Pleased with myself as I've been struggling with nerves all term. At one point I had no idea where I was in the piece but my fingers kept on moving.

Will try to post a link to the video if I can get hold of a copy and edit to just my bit.
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Enrolled for Evening Classes!

Post by Gooday »

Well, having completed a year's worth of evening classes, I can thoroughly recommend it.

I've learnt loads, am now almost comfortable playing to an audience (huge leap that) and have already re-enrolled for next year.

One surprising aspect was that I picked up a fair amount of theory, though not enough to attempt Grade V theory yet.

For those who might be interested, City Lit has a music open day 18th of July.