Piano practise from hell

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I get days like that too!

Usually, if I haven't been practising or playing 'properly' for a while, my fingers get lazy. A little bit of Hanon always gets things going again, much more than scales or arpeggios would.
emmac
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by emmac »

I sympathise because I hate playing for an audience - as soon as I know someone is listening my fingers turn into sausages and I instantly forget all the notes I was playing perfectly five minutes earlier. I used to dread piano exams for that reason.

Suspect the only answer may be to practise playing in front of an audience. Have you got an amenable relative you can tie to a chair while you play, with instructions to make admiring comments after each piece?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I don't think anyone really likes exams. I'm thinking along the line of completing a DipLCM in Keyboard, more for professional recognition that anything else to compliment my piano qualifications, but having been out of the way of doing exams for the past 5/6 years, I don't relish the thought of going before an examiner.

My first piano teacher used to say to me about the time I was doing Grade 1, "just remember that the listeners or the examiner (as the case may be) goes to the toilet too!" Exams are supposed to be informal in their own way. Unless you're going performance or recital qualifications where formality of dress and conduct are vital, for the grade examinations, the examiner is more interested in what you can do with your instrument. Although they sound polite and concerned, they're not interested in you at all! They are mostly listeners. It may be a good idea to play and perform in front of friends or family to get used to 'blanking' out other people and helping you gain that focus you need so that you don't get distracted.

In my experience, blanking out the examiner has always been my way of getting through exams and to help me cope with being aware of an examiner, but being more aware of what I'm doing - that is an acquired skill too. Practice and gaining confidence with what you are playing is also going to help you relax as you play - and it will show in you end performance too! Examiners are always able to tell whether or not you enjoyed the piece!
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

I teach other things, and the most relevant thing is to acknowledge when you have had a bad session, 'cos at least you know you have had better. :shock:

The learning is in the de-brief - ask yourself what you did well etc as well as points for re-visit next session.
Learning, but really enjoying!
emmac
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by emmac »

Hi DaveBrum, in answer to your query I was fine when I did grade 1 (a very long time ago: I was too young to care) but got more and more averse to the exams as I got older. Grade 4 was the worst - my fingers were sweating so much they kept sliding off the keys. Amazingly I didn't quite fail it. I did better at grade 5 but only by not caring what the examiner thought, so I played everything like an automaton. Gave up the exams after that.

My daughter had a similar experience with her piano exams so I didn't force her to take them after grade 2. She's about grade 7 standard now.

I guess it's nice to do the exams as a marker of how you're progressing, but not if they're going to become a black cloud hanging over you. It may also depend on the circumstances in which you take them - I disliked having to sit down at a strange piano and play it straight off without any chance to get used to it, but maybe this need not be the case these days?
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

emmac has a good point re a 'strange' piano - i get to do my exams on the one i have my lessons on, so am somewhat fortunate...
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Dave,

Are you having lessons?

I think the main issue here is that if you do have a few lessons, if you have found a teacher worthy of the title they will know whats needed to achieve a 1.

Moreover, they will 'educate' u hopefully enough to build in some seepage for nerves and still allow a pass.

My teacher was/is very canny at this - I'm never 100% sure how well i am playing, until after the exam! It worked for me - distinction at 1, merit at 2! :D

You need to be careful of the economies involved? (IMHO of course)
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Dave.

LOL bless.

It might be worth some periodic one-off lessons subject to how far you have to travel etc.

My point is that the syllabus in the front of the book doesn't show nuances etc that a teacher can inject into your playing.

Please note this is just my opinion, and i mean no offence in my comments.

regards

andy
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

Same thing happens to me every time I sit in a piano shop. There's a shiny Rx3 or something sitting there, and I the desire to play it somehow overcomes any worries about how bad I'll sound, then I sit down and can only really play a few bars badly before forgetting it all. The thing is, does it matter? Same with the exam, does it matter if you don't pass? As adults, we've chosen to play the instrument. We're probably not going to have a career as a concert pianist :) and no one's expecting us to. So the exam is just an oportunity to get some feedback.I sat my first music exam (last November) and I went in expecting to make lots of mistakes, go blank, fail to site read, probably fail basically. So, I made mistakes and carried on. Mistakes on every piece that is. It's an unfamiliar piano, so there's a lot of allowances made I think. Stuffed up a scale as well. And I can't sing. Actually, I went in to the hall and a nice old lady pointed me to a really old piano for warming up. I thought, great - makes things easier as who'd be able to tell the difference between PP and PF on this thing? Disappointingly, after 20 minutes, I was taken through to a room with two examiners and a yamaha U3 - much heavier touch that I'm used to, so again no expectation to do well there. As it happens, I can now display a music certificate on the 'spare bedroom' wall, much to my girlfriend's bemusement, with a lot more pride than your average piano playing 10 year old. But, I'd just have gone back and sat an exam every year till I got one if I failed. There's a scoring system included with the certificate (and I assume you'd get this if you didn't reach the pass mark) which provides some feedback on each piece, so that's useful I think. Teachers do make a difference though, so could be worth looking for evening classes (maybe that's easier in London) as a much cheaper option (that's what I'm doing). If you have any means of recording yourself (doesn't have to be good sound, digital camera, dictaphone etc.?) you could see if you can get through the whole piece (just aim to get further each time) in one take. That's helped me a bit.
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Dave,

my teacher charged £12 for 30 mins - and the lesson always lasts longer than that! (probably something to do with my teacher having lots of children as pupils and not too many adults?).

I fully recognise the costs involved - have you considered 1 lesson a month or some way of a compromise like that?

Also echo another poster re not needing to take exams at all, but the grades are all technique tests IMV anyway, so are a good way of see/hear/feeling where you are at?
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Dave,
my mate Tim has played professionally in another life, and between us we have all the kit apart from a PA to play live. (numerous keyboards, software and apple macs etc)

One day I may just do that.... If Tim will lower is extremely high standards! :roll:
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

I like alsorts - I can play an easy version of several Abba songs, plus a few other bits - Simon and garfunkel stuff too...

I reckon the thing is to broaden ones pallet! :wink:

PS - I only started playing March last year.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Emma made a good point, Dave; play as many pianos as you can, wherever you can, whenever you can, to whomsoever ( :shock: ) you can. That was you won't be fazed by a different instrument.
We all get crap lesson/practice days. I've just got my Bluthner back after a two-month layoff while it was being rebuilt. I wish Dave the Restorer had put a red sticky dot on middle C for me... I'm playing like a pillock and my hands have the dexterity and accuracy of a string bag full of porridge.
But ARE WE DOWNHEARTED??? Well, yes, for a bit, but I know it'll come back, and equally importantly I know there are days when it'll clear off again. Don't panic!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

No, not emigrated (I don't even like going into Berkshire much) but busy with a choir who did a concert on Sunday. I was accompanying...on a C*****ova (pardon my French) so needed a) time to practise
b) time to rehearse
c) time to do the gig
d) time to recover.
But I'm BACK! Did you miss me, then? Yeah, I know - like a boil on the bum...:)
Yers, play everything you can possibly get your hands on. Even if it's a C*****ova...it'll help you appreciate real pianos!
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Dave, the only difference between someone having a bad practice for Grade 1 and someone having a bad practice at post degree level is that the more advanced practicee cocks it up for longer and has fistfuls of more wrong notes and dire sounds! After years of swearing, throwing paddies and banging my head against the keyboard, it is my considered opinion that the best thing to do on bad finger days is to walk away and put the kettle on.
It happens to all of us, sometimes more often than we'd like - just means we're mere mortals who sometimes lose the connection between our hands and (in my case, what is laughingly known as) our brains!
Now, where's the Earl Grey.....
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

I read somewhere about the brain still learning sub-consciously re psycho-motor skills/cognitive skills?

It does seem to be the case - go away, put the ketle on etc then go back, and play better.... :shock:
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Have you ever heard of the concept of "armchair practice", Dave? It requires a reasonable degree of concentration but you basically practice with the score away from the keyboard, ie, you "play" the piece in your mind. It does away with non cooperative fingers (but doesn't do much if you're having a bad brain day too!)
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Have you ever wondered how you always end up with the whole seat to yourself, Dave? :D
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

I get plenty of those even when I'm not doing anything!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

This thigh-playing, Dave; your thigh or someone else's? Just wondered...
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Gill the Piano wrote:This thigh-playing, Dave; your thigh or someone else's? Just wondered...
Ah, Gill, would that be the alternative Thighs (Thaiis) Meditation, then?
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Dave, have you purchased a Clavinova yet?

have a look for the Roland A90ex - that's what i started out on, and still have for computer/midi work - fully weighted hammer action etc, and good prices 2nd hand etc...

Doesn't have the feel of the Z1, but then again that's not surprising.
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Dave,

i had the A90 via balanced leads into some fostex monitors initially. i then did the pc thing sometime later. i also used the a90 via headphones, which i still do on occasion...

it was just a thought - u can pick a good ocndition one up for around 5-600quid...
TheBritishPianist
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by TheBritishPianist »

Nobody likes exams! You just have to get on with it, it's all over in 10 minutes.

The last exam I took was grade 3 several years ago, before I stopped bothering with them. I think i got 141/150. I was chuffed!
www.markinnottingham.blogspot.com

My piano blog - I talk about everything piano related! Take a look......
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

TheBritishPianist wrote:Nobody likes exams! You just have to get on with it, it's all over in 10 minutes.

The last exam I took was grade 3 several years ago, before I stopped bothering with them. I think i got 141/150. I was chuffed!
If it's any consolation to you, I was up at our local exam centre yesterday accompanying exams and the adjudicator was telling me that the previous day, the exam moderator had sat in on all the exams, examining the examiner, so she had as tough a time of it as the candidates. Retribution, methinks!
Nigel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Nigel »

abc1337 wrote:Dave,

my teacher charged £12 for 30 mins - and the lesson always lasts longer than that! (probably something to do with my teacher having lots of children as pupils and not too many adults?).

I fully recognise the costs involved - have you considered 1 lesson a month or some way of a compromise like that?

Also echo another poster re not needing to take exams at all, but the grades are all technique tests IMV anyway, so are a good way of see/hear/feeling where you are at?
Funily enough that always happens to me....my tutor teaches primary school children all day and seems (hopefully) to enjoy teaching me due to my enthusiasm....sorry OFF TOPIC!!!!!