Relearning the Piano

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Maco

Relearning the Piano

Post by Maco »

Hi there, this is my first ever post. Great forum ladies and gents!

I have recently taken up the piano again after stopping 25 years ago when I reached my teens - a familiar story no doubt.

I had lessons for about 6 years, but my teacher never put me through any exams. I reached John Thompson’s Easiest Piano Course Number 7. What would have been the equivalent grade, I don't know?

Looking at these books now, they look so dated. I’ve got to say that trudging through this series ‘robot-like’ was probably one of the reasons I finally stopped. Wine and women also became more appealing :oops:

Unfortunately, I have more or less forgotten how to read music, but can still play a little bit from memory.

Could anyone recommend a new course of books to buy for ‘relearning’?

Any advice gratefully received.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I would say to try and arrange lessons with a teacher if you are trying to get back up-to-standard as motivation can be a huge factor when trying to "get back in saddle".

Piano self-study in book format is not that common these days in terms of recent publications as video tuition is becoming more and more popular. There are a lot of tuition books that would really need the input from a teacher that I could think of. However, Paul Harris does a nice range "Improve Your Sight Reading" which I have recommended in the past. However, that range is geared towards developing sight-reading skills and not so much music for enjoyment. You can find levelled music for beginners at musicroom.com which is where I get a lot of my music lately.

Are you interested in developing you piano playing or simply for enjoyment? If you're looking to become a proficient player, then, in order to develop into a well-rounded musician, you may need to think carefully about finding a piano teacher
Samick
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Samick »

Whether you are just playing for fun or are more serious about playing the piano, I would really recommend that you find a teacher to help you.

I have had many adult pupils who have started learning the piano from tutors on their own, and some have done really well with learning the basics. However, nearly all of them say when they come for lessons that they seem to have got so far, but don't seem to be improving beyond a certain point.

That's because there isn't a tutor out there that is tailored to suit each individual, one that can really bring all the required "elements" of good piano playing together, and develop a sound technique. What usually happens is that "bad habits" start to develop maybe because of not fully understanding what the Tutor is actually trying to get across, or the relevance of a particular point, and of course these are then difficult to break.

I don't want to put you off - get started yourself, but do try and find a teacher as soon as you can, even if you only manage a couple of lessons a month. It really will help you in the long run, and keep you motivated!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

The Complete Piano Player is the book I always recommend to adults; if nothing else it will serve as an excellent revision. It uses songs you know, doesn't talk down to you, goes a realistic speed for an adult and doesn't have fairies dancing all over it. Also, when your memory of what you learned ages ago peters out and you realise you're in new territory, it's a good indication to whichever teacher you decide to continue with (and there will be one, won't there?:) ) what level you reached and how best to continue your musical travels.
Good luck and have fun!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I was actually thinking about "The Complete Piano Player" when I was typing my last post. Fine for your own enjoyment but not great for reinforcing technical prowess, which is important if you are thinking about doing grade examinations down the line.

This is why I was asking where you wanted to go with your playing.
Maco

Post by Maco »

Thank you very much for the responses!
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Hi Maco
Good for you! I would echo Markymark and Sammick's comments and add that you will ultimately save yourself a lot of aches and pains by going to a decent teacher as posture is often a much neglected but vital element to playing the piano (or indeed any instrument) and you wouldn't believe what a chronic pain you can get by having one shoulder higher than the other, not sitting parallel to the keyboard or making sure you're properly centred before you start, to name but a few problems.
Good luck and enjoy!