Kid’s fingers question

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

bellamom

Kid’s fingers question

Post by bellamom »

Hi-
Would someone please give me any suggestion for my son’s piano lessons?

My 6 years old son took one semester of group piano lesson (group of 6 kids), now he is taking a private lesson (4 times so fat). After all these class, his fingers are still flat, and his thumb is always out of the piano keyboard. The private teacher said it’s not right, but it’s ok, he could still play. I am guessing that my son didn’t get what the teacher’s explanations of how should his fingers play on a piano. A friend of mine told me that maybe the teacher is not the right teacher for my son, go look for another teacher. But I don’t know how to say that to my son, nor do I know how to tell the teacher that we are leaving. I also think maybe my son is just too stubborn, he doesn’t have the talent to play piano; maybe I should not waste our time and money. Should I go ahead and quit my son’s piano lessons?

Thanks for reading my post J
joca_hdj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by joca_hdj »

It's not about time and money and his talent(beleive you or not),it's about if he likes it or not.So ask him if he likes and enjoys his piano lessons and practising.Lot of kids theses days would like to play video games instead piano these days.I don't say we should give them freedom to decide what's best for them at the age of 6, but we can talk to them and explain them some things.Try to talk to him and you will know for sure!

Jovan
The craft of piano playing
The craft of piano playing practitioner

http://maplegroveproductions.com
alanfraser.net