sight reading counting hemi demi semi quavers piano help

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

NAZGUL

sight reading counting hemi demi semi quavers piano help

Post by NAZGUL »

I really want to learn how to sight read properly but there just does not seem to be the time in the lesson to cover this enough and I just can not afford more lessons. How does one count demisemiquavers in 2/4 time? there is one bar of the three tailed monsters grouped together in four groups of four demis(quaver value)followed by a bar of 2 groups of demis and two quavers beamed and a bar of 1 quaver followed by two beamed quavers and a quaver rest. how do I count this? I have tried 1an an an 2 an an an but realised this would culmanate in a 4 an an an which confuse. so i have tried 1 an an an 1 an an an 2 an an an 2 an an an for the 1 bar and 1an an an 1 an an an 2 an ? for the next bar and the third bar counted as 1 an 2 an ?? please help. I really want to crack this. I sometimes feel like giving up in sheer frustration, but I have worked so hard for the last 2 years and really would love to play well by sight reading . flowing gratitude in anticipation of any kind help :P :P :P
NAZGULNOTABENE
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Don't be frightened...just inflate them so that they're quavers. Then your dsquavers will be crotchets and your squavers will be minims. Write it out like that and that will be less scary.
OR...tap the crotchet beat really - I mean REALLY - slowly, then with the other hand tap the quavers. Then double it to squavers, then again to dsquavers then again to hdsquavers.
What are you playing that has hsdquavers in it? Go for something else if it panics you; you can always come back to it. But they're only big notes broken down to little ones - they don't bite! :D