Accurate indication of Note Strength

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

vladimirdounin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Accurate indication of Note Strength

Post by vladimirdounin »

I am used to an accurate indication of note strength in my teaching and performing work. (By this I mean that my students and me always know about each particular note in any sequence of notes or chords, whether this note should be played louder or softer in relation to the previous and the following note, and by how much).

After I moved to America I can not find here anybody with whom I can discuss my concerns regarding dynamics, phrasing and articulation of some tricky spots. Because people around me say that they “can think and play only musical phrases” but they have no idea about “musical words” these phrases are made of.

I will be very glad to hear from or about somebody who knows this way to think in music and can suggest the best way to perform.

Today my concern is in the very first bars of “For Elise” by Beethoven. Which note should be played stronger (louder) in the Left Hand: the very first bass A or the second note E? I will appreciate any opinion expressed.

Vladimir Dounin.
e-mail: vladimirdounin@yahoo.ca
Vladimir Dounin
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

The A expreses the tonality of the bar better, I'd have thought...but it's all a matter of opinion really, isn't it? Have you read the books by Tobias Matthay? He's very big on arm weight and whether the weight is at the top of the key travel (staccato/light) or the bottom (legato/heavy). All touch as far as he is concerned derives from armweight, not muscle power. He's very longwinded; in fact you can get a book called 'What Matthay really meant' by one of his acolytes, but if you can wadw through his verbiage it's very helpful!