scales over two octaves

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

frannie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

scales over two octaves

Post by frannie »

I have just started piano again after thirty years of not touching a note. I have completely forgotten how to read music, and even the names of the notes, but, miraculously, I have somehow not forgotten how to play with both hands. It must be like riding a bike! However, after my first lesson, I have been set the task of learning to play C major scale with both hands up and down the keyboard over two octaves. How do I change over at the end of the first octave? I cannot get the fingering right and would be really grateful from all you experienced players as to how to manage the change over smoothly.
Many thanks for any help! Frannie
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Right Hand, major scale of C, up then down:

123 1234 123 1234 5 4321 321 4321 321

Left Hand:

54321 321 4321 32 1 23 1234 123 12345

Practise passing the thumb under unobtrusively; it's easy to hear a "thump" when the thumb strikes, otherwise. Pick a note and stick your third finger on it, then play the note below with the thumb, then the note itself with the 3rd, then the note above with the thumb. Make them all sound the same, and smooth. Then do the same with the 4th finger.Repeat until insanity beckons...
Boring, but worth doing! :roll: :lol:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

C scale

Post by Geminoz »

Gill is right (is there nothing she doesn't know? :lol: )....Insanity for you and anyone within earshot Frannie. :wink:
Good luck...but..you mentioned you had a lesson...and your teacher didn't show you the fingering??? :shock:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'm amazed I DO remember the scale fingering - it's so long since I practised scales I more or less need a red dot on middle C to remind me where it is :roll: .
Are you anywhere you could get hold of a Scale Manual? The Associated Board do them, and they detail all the scales from C major to Z# melodic minor four hands a minor seventh apart in contrary motion (joke - don't panic! :shock: ) and give all the approved fingering.
I agree with Geminoz - and there AIN'T nothing she don't know! - did your teacher not write the fingering down for you?
D Minor
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D Minor »

I teach scales via memory and the notes the 4th fingers play.A scale is an alphabetical succession of 8 notes.

For C major RH 4th on B and LH 4th on D. Just below and above the keynote.

Notes: CDEFGABC

G major: GABCDEF#G.

Major scales: Semitones must be between the 3-4 and 7-8 notes...hence key signatures.

Good Luck.