What age is best?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Tracy

What age is best?

Post by Tracy »

My daughter (nearly 10) has been playing violin for 2 years now and about to do her grade 3. Her violin teacher feels she has real talent and has suggested now would be a good time for her to take up the piano as a second instrument. Is this a good age, or would she be better leaving it until she has reached a higher grade with her violin as it can be difficult finding time to practice one instrument let alone 2. This together with the financial strain of doing the two, is there a right time? Could she be self taught for a while using one of the web sites available or maybe using a book or tape, or do I look for the best qualified and probably most expensive in the area. Any advice given greatly received. Also thinking of buying a new Kawai KX10, K15 or Yamaha C109. Kawai are supposed to have better tone quality at this level and Yamaha more of a responsive action. Which is more important for a beginner?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If the teacher suggested it, then they obviously feel that your child can handle it. She will have to learn to read the bass clef - and the younger you do that the better. Financially, the only way to get a cheaper lesson is to get both violin and pianolessons at the same place - is there a local Music Centre near you? Sometimes they offer reductions or scholarships. Or if your violin teacher teaches piano too, she might make a small discount?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Sorry - pressed the wrong button before I'd finished! :oops:
No child can learn from books/tapes/CD's/internet alone; if she starts a bad habit, no book/tape etc. will pick up on it! And unless you're a pianist, neither will you :) ....
I think ease of action is important for a beginner, but to be honest the difference between the two will be so subtle that only a relatively experienced pianist would notice. Why buy new? If money is a problem (and when isn't it?! :? )a decent second-hand instrument will be a lot cheaper, and if she doesn't take to it, then you haven't lost two grand (at least!). I marvel at people who pay two grand to find out their kids hate playing the piano :shock: ! Ring a local independent tuner, and ask if s/he knows of a reasonable piano at concert pitch for sale - I bet they do!