Where to first place the fingers?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Goldspoon

Where to first place the fingers?

Post by Goldspoon »

Hi all,

First post. I am 56 years old new adult learner, zero experience.

I started learning some months ago. Had a teacher for about 6 lessons then lockdown and on own since.

Struggling where to put fingers.

So need to play C G A F with the left hand, whilst playing some cords with the right.

Left hand: at the moment I am moving my left thumb from C to G to A to F. But surely that's not right? Should my thumb be on one key and the other fingers be on different keys "ready to go"? Is there a rule or does everybody do it differently?

When I started it was "both thumbs on middle C" and I got that. The hands were "located".

I am playing "Straight Beat Gospel Style (chord practice).

Probably a silly question but just need to keep trying until I find another teacher if that ever becomes possible.

chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Where to first place the fingers?

Post by chrisw »

CGAF in the left hand, but which C are you starting on ?

If it is middle C then thumb on middle C , 3 on G, 2 on A and 4 on F.

If lower C, 5 on C, 2 on G, thumb on A and 3 on F.

When there is a sequence of notes and when it is possible it is a good idea to put the fingers down on the notes and keep them in place before you start playing.

There aren't many rules of fingering but try to use a finger which leaves another finger available for the note which follows. Try to avoid using little finger and thumb on black keys but this is not always possible. Try to choose fingers which are comfortable to play and which minimise the amount of hand movement.
Goldspoon

Re: Where to first place the fingers?

Post by Goldspoon »

Thank you. Will have a go!