Guitar to piano - any advice how to

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Tesherar

Guitar to piano - any advice how to

Post by Tesherar »

This may seem like a stupid place to put this question – but I'm after a guitarist view/advice.

I want to learn piano.
I have reasonable music knowledge, understanding scales, modes, and chords etc, I can read music (slowly) and can play electric and acoustic guitar enough to annoy the neighbours or an audience locked in room! I'm really a singer songwriter.

I should like to learn the piano. To help with performance options and song creating. (And my left hand needs to rest a bit)

I would be a total beginner. I have access to a great Yamaha electric piano.
Need advice on perhaps what book to get or on line program.
Is there a keyboard equivalent to Rocksmith!!

Any advice please.
Thank you.
Feg

Re: Guitar to piano - any advice how to

Post by Feg »

Have a look at The Complete Piano Player by Kenneth Baker.

It's well written and uses pop standards/classics rather than classical pieces. It's designed for adults and progression is well paced.

Fiona
Aliastar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Aliastar »

I started learning with this book. I also play guitar for 4 years, but I had some problems with music theory. This book is very easy to understand and it's not necessary to attend solfeggio classes for that, but if you want to get much dry theory, this book is not recommended.
upd. also, online video instruction attached to the book. For some newbies (like me) this feature is very useful
Pianoforall

Post by Pianoforall »

Aliastar wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 10:23 I started learning with this book. I also play guitar for 4 years, but I had some problems with music theory. This book is very easy to understand and it's not necessary to attend solfeggio classes for that, but if you want to get much dry theory, this book is not recommended.
upd. also, online video instruction attached to the book. For some newbies (like me) this feature is very useful
Aliastar,

I too am a guitar fan, and lover of various types of instruments. While I enjoy guitar, I would like to incorporate piano into my repertoire. How difficult was it to transition from playing guitar to playing the piano?
cassidybole
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by cassidybole »

I am trying to learn to play too. I'll your advices.