"Rule, Britannia!" - right and wrong way to perform

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

vladimirdounin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

"Rule, Britannia!" - right and wrong way to perform

Post by vladimirdounin »

Today, many music schools and bad teachers stamp musicians with the same defect. They teach all musicians (including singers) that notes on the counts "one" and "three" must be louder than others.

If you are going to perform all your life only soldiers' songs and marches, then you do not need anything else. This rule will work perfectly, and all the soldiers will loudly stamp their left foot exactly on the counts “one” and “three” together with you to the joy of their commanders.

However, this rule is absolutely not suitable for music, which is written for everything that we have above the belt line: for the mind, for the heart, for the soul.

People who haven’t been brainwashed at music schools, do not like the performance of good music “like a soldier’s” . There are a great majority of such people on our planet and they come or don't come to our concerts and buy or don't buy our music recordings. Normal people do not like to listen to "musical robots" and simply refuse to listen to them.

I also don’t like these constant stresses on the "one" and "three" in every musical word, because I have worked all my life with wonderful musicians and I know much better rules that I share with FREE for everyone.

Because we are in the same boat. If I played bad music, people will not come to YOUR concert. If you played badly - they will not come to mine.

To keep other musicians away from this kind of performance "with soldiers' stresses," I now record the same musical works twice: the first time I play by the rules I learned from the masters, and the second time exactly as bad teachers and schools teach: like a stupid robot that always plays all the notes on "one" and "three" louder.

My listeners thus have the opportunity to compare and decide: which music sounds better, and how would they like to play this music?

If you liked the first version more and you would like to play the same, and not vice versa, I invite you to watch my videos and read my articles and books on the topic: which notes in music should be louder and which ones should be quieter? And why so, and not otherwise?

I answer letters and give FREE advice to everyone on my mail:
vladimir_and_music@yahoo.com as well.

Thank you for listening to my recordings!

«Rule, Britannia!.mp3» -

https://yadi.sk/d/q8iYUg58e1xUTw
Vladimir Dounin
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: "Rule, Britannia!" - right and wrong way to perform

Post by chrisw »

I liked the second version of Rule Britannia. The words do not always start on the first beat of the bar. In fact the first word of the first verse starts on the fourth beat. Other lines start on the last quaver of the bar. The chorus on the other hand starts on the first beat and this is clearly heard in the second recording.

I have recently been playing music by Philip Glass which did not want any accenting of the so called stronger beats. Surely it all depends on the type of music being played or perhaps the era it came from. What do you feel about accenting the first note of triplets ?
vladimirdounin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: "Rule, Britannia!" - right and wrong way to perform

Post by vladimirdounin »

Triplets are quite tricky. Accent can on be on ANY of three notes of the triplets.
Vladimir Dounin