ABRSM Syllabus

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Octavia
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

ABRSM Syllabus

Post by Octavia »

When would the last exam date for the ABRSM Syllabus for piano. ?

Thanks. I thought the Syllabus changed every two years?
Gill the Piano

Re: ABRSM Syllabus

Post by Gill the Piano »

It would be the Easter of the year AFTER the final date on the front of the exam book...so if it says 2017 -2018 then Easter 2019 will be your last chance. Entries have to be in a couple of months before, I think; check the ABRSM website, or perhaps Colin (who teaches) will be able to give you exact dates if he reads this.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Octavia
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Octavia »

Thank you Gill, that is helpful. I was wondering because I was considering booking an exam this autumn by September, for the Nov - Dec entries. But if I left it later say in the Spring 2019 , would I the September booking still stand? or do I have to rebook like you mentioned , a couple of months before I take the exam?

Thanks.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Octavia

Have you booked an ABRSM piano exam before, or is this the first time?
Is the exam for yourself or a pupil of yours?
Which 2 years appear on the front of the piano pieces book?
What grade are you doing?

Whichever it is, you need to register with them first as the "applicant" (the person sending/paying for the exam/ booking it)
If you are doing the exam yourself, you will be the applicant and candidate, then after your first booking, you will get an applicant number for future reference. Application forms are available on their website, either PDF or on-line. Note the closing dates are a week apart, depending on which method you choose.

I think that you are only allowed to book one piano exam at a time in period A (Spring) B (Summer) or C (Autumn)
It's best to book the exam (about 2 months before) when you feel you are ready/ learnt pieces, scales etc.
Once you book in September (period C) for Nov - Dec exam period, you cannot carry it forward to Spring the following year, on the off-chance you are not ready. Expect no refund if you do not attend the exam pre-booked.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen