I'm planning to buy a 'how to play the piano' guide. Is it possible to learn how to play the piano by myself through this guide?
- Colin Nicholson
- Executive Poster
- Posts: 1836
- Joined: 04 Jul 2010, 19:15
- Location: Morpeth, Northumberland
1. Correct or amend bad habits (i.e. using wrong fingers)
2. Correct or amend note value/ rhythm / individual note mistakes
3. Count aloud and play correctly at a steady tempo
4. Posture/ body/ hand and wrist deportment
5. How to practise properly / correct application for legato playing / pedalling techniques
6. Understanding clefs/ staves/ pitch/ time & key signatures...... and much more
Many self-taught pianists are riddled with mistakes throughout their playing, because no teacher is there to put right mistakes - so much so - it affects their ability to play coherently, they eventually cannot be taught properly due to so many bad habits.
Best to start lessons with a teacher, then learn-as-you-go using your book.