Piano tuning

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Piano tuning

Post by chrisw »

My piano has been tuned today and is now sounding very nice indeed. Is it my imagination or am I kidding myself that it is now easier to play ? I might add that the tuning wasn't a mile out before today. The treble had held pitch since the previous tuning. The tenor strings had dropped a little.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Piano tuning

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Upright or Grand?

If upright, depending on your regular custom & time allowed, most often small adjustments may be made (inadvertently) to the mechanism to "improve" performance - the odd tweak here and there, because the action is right there in front of the tuner's nose. Grands obviously require part-dismantling of the cabinet to get the action out. Most piano actions go through a "tread mill" when being tuned by constant repetition of the same note, so this may loosen off anything needing easing.... done in the tuning. However in most cases, a tuning is just a tuning, so best to ask your piano tuner if not written on your invoice.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Piano tuning

Post by chrisw »

Just a humble upright Colin; a 85 note 1994 Kemble Classic.

I am sure the tuner didn't adjust any of the actions and when I said,with tongue in cheek, it was easier to play I wasn't referring to physical effort. It is just that the harmonies seem so spot on it seems to encourage me to play the right* notes. That is why I ask myself if it is all in my imagination.

* Since the tuning I haven't tried to play the start of the Grieg concerto as Eric Morecambe did.