A brand new book of Chopin Nocturnes

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Jonathan the 2nd
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

A brand new book of Chopin Nocturnes

Post by Jonathan the 2nd »

Just back from the music shop. Eager to see which pieces I had always loved were inside my new book of Chopin Nocturnes . Lets get some hints from the notes first .
First one Opus 9 No 1----- " Number one suffers from prolixity and over-repetition ?? ---The section 17 to 50 suffers from repetition and becomes tiresome. " Well thanks very much for nothing ABRSM I just happen to really like that one -- actually!!
There , I feel better for that . How`s that for encouragement Though--But as the Geordie`s would say ?
Prolixity . Is that when you dose up on too much cough medecine ?
Jonathan the 2nd
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: A brand new book of Chopin Nocturnes

Opus 27 No 2 Bar 18 .Real tragedy there. Pure nectar.
Jonathan the 2nd
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Today a youtube music video came in the e mails. Nocturne no 20 in C# minor(?). Hang on a minute. My ABRSM book only has 19 in it. Wiki tells me there are 21.The plot thickens. What`s happened to the last 2 ? I am dying to play those starting chords in the no 20 . The book does not say Part 1. It does not mention the last 2 .
Jonathan the 2nd
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

I have read that No 20 was not originally classed as a Nocturne. But it did not say what it Was classed as. So it seems to be drifting in Limbo at the moment . Is there another edition that contains it ?
Jonathan the 2nd
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

This was my question from 5 years ago and I still don`t know but I really want to play those first few bars. Is there anything so exquisitely sad as those notes ?
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I recently acquired the Chopin preludes but I have never really got into his music. Perhaps I will someday.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I never clicked with him either. I expect he's really upset about that... However I do like the posthumous one. Or the one he wrote after he was dead, as one kid told me.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;