Help with Grieg

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

dorsetpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Help with Grieg

Post by dorsetpiano »

Hello, a little help please for a 64 year old self taught, never had a lesson etc. I am currently working on Grieg's Wedding Day in Troldhagen, I can manage most of it but this passage (from pp) is causing me real difficulty, it's a bit like rubbing your tummy and patting your head. Any suggestions on how to master it apart from start slowly!
IMG_1437.JPG
Second query is what is the point of showing the left hand chord here being held for four bars when it states that the sustain pedal is to be used?
IMG_1438.JPG
Throughout this piece there are also instances where fingers on both hands hold down the same note (it happens with the "b" on the second bar of the above) what is the point?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Help with Grieg

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi
I am presently teaching this piece to a 17 year old student, well.... he did exactly the same as you! .... printed off a free on-line version from ''Free-score.com'' ?? .... so you get what you paid for. .... so 'what's the point?'

So, I told my student before I would teach him it, to go out and buy the PROPER version - by ''Edition Peters'' that shows all the correct pedalling - the addition of the una corda pedal (which is missing on the free version) .... and also to help learn it more successfully & fluently, the Peters version is correctly notated, the stave spacing is much better, and so on. There are also wrong notes in this free version
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
dorsetpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Help with Grieg

Post by dorsetpiano »

Thanks for the advice, incidentally what grade would you associate with this piece? As I said I have never had a lesson so no idea really. One of the other pieces I am working on are Chopin Waltzes no7 in C#minor which I can get through OK (no doubt with lots of dodgy phrasing etc), No1 in Eflat, No 9 A flat, 10 in B minor plus a few others. I play a lot of Chopin (plus the inevitable parts of Beet's Moonlight and Pathetique) but perhaps you could suggest other things.
As you might have guessed I live in Dorset otherwise I might have come along to see you.