Bentley upright - process for sale ?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tinker

Bentley upright - process for sale ?

Post by tinker »

This isn't an advertisment, but, need some help. Due to current non use of our Bentley upright, which is in very good condition and purchased in 1984,(ser - 151491) I am intrested with regard to the process for the sale of this piano, unfortunately we have no knowledge of what it may be worth and how to follow this through. Could you advise on the correct process please, it really is appreciated,
thanks, -- tinker
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Bentley upright - process for sale ?

Post by mdw »

Try 2-3 local piano shops and take the best price Or wack it on fleabay.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Tinker

No one can guess the true value of your piano here on this forum. A 1980's Bentley sounds posh, but it a "run of the mill" piano - that is all. Also try not to conflict the terms of the year when you bought the piano with the actual date of manufacture - the serial number suggests 1982...... so I would drop the 1984 date. I bought a car 2 years ago, but it doesn't say the age and condition.

Depending on how you want to sell it, will determine how much you'll get. If sold on Ebay or through the trade, then expect the lowest offer, and for a piano about 30 years old, dont be too greedy and expect max of about £200. (Ebay - start about £50 with a £150 reserve).... but it also depends on your selling techniques/ pitch/ photos and wording etc.

If you want a quick sale - no hassle with collection, cash up-front - try the local trade....but just after Xmas is a poor time.

If you decide to sell it privately - then take a photo of it with the lid open - inc. the keys & piano name, and one of the internal mechanism WITH the serial number. Always state the serial number with the year of manufacture (c.1982).... dont just give the serial number alone.

Tuning: this is important! If you get anyone interested, make sure the piano is in tune - book a tuner, or offer a free tuning upon delivery. Other wording such as the casework veneer type, overstrung, under damped, nice warm tone etc may also be useful to include. If poss.... put a link to YouTube of the piano being played (in tune).

Hope that helps....
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Excellent advise Colin. You should be selling pianos........ :wink:
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

£1 no reserve on ebay gets my vote :)
I used to list pianos worth £3000 for £1 no reserve and was never too upset at the results
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
vernon

Post by vernon »

I can always use pianos of that vintage/condition/make(not later) We can pick it up this week only. However,full details and pics are essential please
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

vernon wrote:I can always use pianos of that vintage/condition/make(not later) We can pick it up this week only. However,full details and pics are essential please

vernon Why don't you put an ad in the pianos wanted section

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
vernon

Post by vernon »

how do I do that?
You're talking to a highly trained professional piano technician who is totally ignorant of IT thingys.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

vernon wrote:how do I do that?
You're talking to a highly trained professional piano technician who is totally ignorant of IT thingys.
Just go to this part of the forum Pianos Wanted and post a new subject and tell the world you are looking for pianos just get creative with the text

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page