Brodmann Concert Grands

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Brodmann Concert Grands

Post by joseph »

The Brodmann concert grand has arrived on the market in the USA!

It sounds like a Brodmann, obviously, and that's no bad thing either because they are great sounding pianos. My own Brodmann is nearly 5 years old and is developing into a very nice piano, and showing that it will stand up to punishment in the long term.

I'm interested to know how much these concert grands will cost and what they will sell for - they could be a real alternative for venues that may not be able to afford the usual Steinway and Yamaha, but who want a great sounding nine-footer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdNLPr4P ... r_embedded#!
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Brodmann Concert Grands

Post by joe »

Are you been serious ?.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Well, did you see the video? You always have something a bit snide to say about pianos from the far east..... anyone would think you didn't like them. :lol:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joseph wrote:Well, did you see the video? You always have something a bit snide to say about pianos from the far east..... anyone would think you didn't like them. :lol:

I did.. they came across as a very powerful pianos, but its difficult to be to judgemental from a camcorder recording but the bottom base did not have that deep growl but the treble sounded sweet on that recording.

Would be nice to see one in the UK in a concert venue its nice to hear recoding and live performances of popular works on other makes, I have some nice Beethoven on a new Bluthner C grand

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I think they sound fantastic, probably a good all rounder.

The Bluthner Model 2, which I assume is the one you are referring to, is a very sweet piano, and is perfect for Beethoven. The Model 2 is probably one of the finest grands of its size, but it takes a bit of shopping around and preparation to find a good one. I have a soft spot for the Bluthner piano.

I think different makes bring different qualities to the music. For instance, I have a recording of Sofronitsky playing a Bechstein in the 1950s. Bechstein was his favourite piano, as it was for many pianists at that time, and it sounds beautiful. It's very different to the Steinway and it took a little time for my ears to get used to the sound, but it is a beautiful, almost etherial tone that comes from his piano.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

No its a Model 1, the one that Bluthners use for hire - I do have a Model 2 on my round that is is nice, its just starting to settle in I will be giving that one its 5th tuning in Jan. I have a model 1 as well that is about 4 year old its very, very soft

Now I have a very interesting 5 year 6"2 Schimmel for playing Beethoven on, we have voiced the hammers down to the texture of *cotton wool - when played hard its gives off some very interesting over tones as the hammer misshapes then returns.

Barrie

*the client wanted it that way had to use steam
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Oh yes, I know that piano. It's a nice enough piano but it lacks a bit in preparation. I think it's getting a bit long in the tooth now and needs some attention - if it's the same one they had a couple of years back. The action on it sucks a bit, but that's not the pianos fault, it's just a bit neglected at times. Maybe that's changed now.

The tone is very good though.

I can imagine that a piano with a very soft hammer head will produce some etheral overtones, infact some old Bluthners with very soft hammers almost have a metallic, bell-like ring going on at high volume.

Anyway since this thread is about Brodmann concert grands, I'd be interested to hear what Chris Venables has to say about them - have you seen one yet, Chris?
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

joseph wrote:The Brodmann concert grand has arrived on the market in the USA!

It sounds like a Brodmann, obviously, and that's no bad thing either because they are great sounding pianos. My own Brodmann is nearly 5 years old and is developing into a very nice piano, and showing that it will stand up to punishment in the long term.

I'm interested to know how much these concert grands will cost and what they will sell for - they could be a real alternative for venues that may not be able to afford the usual Steinway and Yamaha, but who want a great sounding nine-footer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdNLPr4P ... r_embedded#!
I'll have a look at the link - all the best for the Season Joseph
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

Hi Joseph

I haven't seen one yet but I know the first two were sold immediately they were shown. It's going to be several months before there will be any free stock. I don't know if the case parts are going to be made in Germany or in Parsons factory in China as per the first batch, but the spec is as high as you can go. eg The core sound producing components are: soundboard from Bolduc, strings from Roslau, hammer heads from Abel or Renner, and the damper felt from Laureaux. The action is made by Renner and the keyboard options from Kluge or Laukhuff. Tuning plank 5 ply maple from Bolduc. Stringing and action fitting is done in Germany and the pianos are finished by just one dedicated technician (ex Steinway). THE M.R.P. is 75,000 Euros (around £63,000 inc tax) which makes it around £50,000 cheaper than a Steinway model D.

They're making three other models in this 'Artist Series' which are upgraded versions of the 187, 29,900 Euros, the 212 at 35,900 Euros and the 228 at 39,990 Euros, again, using similar components and build to the Concert model 275.

We recorded their cheaper Professional Edition models at our showrooms a few months ago to give people an idea of the Brodmann signature sound. To hear these, please click on the following link:

http://www.chrisvenables.co.uk/brodmann ... pianos.htm

Regards.

Chris
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

So, the Artist Series grands are into the more expensive territory. When I bought my 187, new, I paid £7500 for it in 2007. Ok it's not an AS piano, but I think I got a bargain....

Is the bolduc soundboard an upgrade over the Strunz? I'm sure a renner action would be better and worth the upgrade, but then again, my piano has a good, fast and responsive action even after 5 years.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Hardly a bargain,imagine trying to sell it privately you would lose 75% what you paid for it,you could also get a realistic valuation from Piano Auctions,only way is too upgrade if you want out of jail.Bargain or loading topics for commission are you being serious of SPAMMING ?.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Joe, I'm not spamming, do you have a suggestion for an upgrade?
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

joseph wrote:So, the Artist Series grands are into the more expensive territory. When I bought my 187, new, I paid £7500 for it in 2007. Ok it's not an AS piano, but I think I got a bargain....

Is the bolduc soundboard an upgrade over the Strunz? I'm sure a renner action would be better and worth the upgrade, but then again, my piano has a good, fast and responsive action even after 5 years.
Joseph, I don't think there's much to choose between the two soundboards IMHO.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I guessed not, because my piano has a good sound which I'm really happy with, so it's obviously a good board.

Despite loosing 75 % of the purchase price and it not being a Boston I think it's a pretty good buy actually, don't you? :twisted:
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

joseph wrote:Joe, I'm not spamming, do you have a suggestion for an upgrade?
.Yamaha C3,Kawai RX3,Boston new GP grands if new,or maybe a quality not overly used modern Steinway,Grotrian-Steinweg,Bosendorfer,Bluthner etc.Come on you and CV know your pianos no need for the attempted "SALES PITCH" it cheapen your standing.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

You're right, I don't need the sales pitch. What I did was went for the piano that had the best sound and touch within the confines of my budget. All the other pianos you mention are good instruments, but you know, I couldn't afford a Boston, Steinway, Yamaha or Kawai. Besides, the piano I bought plays as well as any (with the exception of Steinway, of course, which I agree is more than a cut above on many levels).

Many musicians have bought the same model of piano as me and they have been more than happy with it, as I have.

Remember, there's a big difference between paying £7500 and paying £18000, so when comparing with a Yamaha C3, RX3, or Boston, I had to take that into account as well. If my only expense was a piano, then perhaps I may have gone for one of those. However, it isn't. Since I don't plan to sell it any time soon - and nobody really knows the re-sale value of a Brodmann yet, I didn't bother taking depreciation into account because it wasn't an important factor. I don't feel that I need to get out of jail with the instrument I have as it works and does everything I demand of it. Yes, there are areas of it which could be improved but so what? At that price, who gives a damn? The retail price has increased in the last 5 years which is a good sign for owners, although not really an indication of how they will do on the open market, at least it hasn't dropped and the company hasn't gone out of business.

I understand that the best piano to fight depreciation is a steinway, but the initial outlay of buying one is beyond my, and most peoples means.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joseph wrote:
I understand that the best piano to fight depreciation is a steinway, but the initial outlay of buying one is beyond my, and most peoples means.
A Steinway is for life not just for Xmas so why include the depreciation bit :wink:

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

joseph wrote:You're right, I don't need the sales pitch. What I did was went for the piano that had the best sound and touch within the confines of my budget. All the other pianos you mention are good instruments, but you know, I couldn't afford a Boston, Steinway, Yamaha or Kawai. Besides, the piano I bought plays as well as any (with the exception of Steinway, of course, which I agree is more than a cut above on many levels).

Many musicians have bought the same model of piano as me and they have been more than happy with it, as I have.

Remember, there's a big difference between paying £7500 and paying £18000, so when comparing with a Yamaha C3, RX3, or Boston, I had to take that into account as well. If my only expense was a piano, then perhaps I may have gone for one of those. However, it isn't. Since I don't plan to sell it any time soon - and nobody really knows the re-sale value of a Brodmann yet, I didn't bother taking depreciation into account because it wasn't an important factor. I don't feel that I need to get out of jail with the instrument I have as it works and does everything I demand of it. Yes, there are areas of it which could be improved but so what? At that price, who gives a damn? The retail price has increased in the last 5 years which is a good sign for owners, although not really an indication of how they will do on the open market, at least it hasn't dropped and the company hasn't gone out of business.

My opinion your £7,500 would have been better spent buying an used Japanese grand not to old for the budget you had in 2007,must be expensive to keep tuned and serviced regularly ?.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Actually it's settled well, the tuning is fine and the action is holding up. I'm not deluding myself because it's my money and emperor's new clothes etc, the piano is actually fine. If it were not so I'd be trying to flog it and get something better.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Whose advice did you seek when buying ?,as to value if the piano appeared at Piano Auction would be lucky to achieve 2K as to a private sale no chance nobody ever heard of the brand apart from the bloggers on here trying to give it some credence.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

joseph wrote:...........What I did was went for the piano that had the best sound and touch within the confines of my budget....

Joe said,
"My opinion your £7,500 would have been better spent buying an used Japanese grand not to old for the budget you had in 2007,must be expensive to keep tuned and serviced regularly?"

Your opinion is appreciated Joe, but you must realize that in some cultures (not mine though, and I can't speak for the OP either) buying used is a definite no-no for one reason or another, (too long to discuss here). So for some, a new piano, one which feels just right, and within a given budget, makes absolute perfect sense.

Joseph as he stated, went for a new piano which had the best sound & touch within the confines of his budget. And this is an excellent, intelligent way to purchase a piano if the plan is to retain the instrument for some considerable time. On other piano forums that I frequent (some in English, some not) one can often read of piano purchases made with a top priority put on the estimated resell value - often advised by dealers, and I can tell you that some of these posts lead to buyers remorse, simply because a piano (or pianos) have been suggested to them. Sometimes they "don't sound right" (frequently with s/h Yamahas with hammers even harder than when new, or "don't feel right" (actions requiring regulation).
In my mind and with many other genuine piano lovers - the latter term unfortunately not always synonymous with all piano dealers - one should audition many different makes and models, and choose the piano which is aesthetically pleasing, and which feels and sounds just right within the given budget. Forget about what it may or may not be worth in x-years time!

I'd be the first to agree that I'd prefer a super condition s/h Kawai RX3, Grotrian-Steinweg, Bosendorfer or Bluthner to a new Brodmann, but let's be honest how frequently do they come on the market at comparable prices.

Now Joe, sensing a "Bah humbug" comment, we'll allow you to save that for Christmas day....... :wink:
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
vernon

Post by vernon »

bit of fresh air from newage.
When you buy something ,for most of us I suspect, one doesn't place "re-sell" value as a high prioity. Many do of course.
If someone wants a piano and they are of moderate competence I suggest they try all our stock at their leisure-they are all priced and if they find their heart's delight we are all happy.
If a learner comes in and asks for advice on the " best toned piano" we have, I find their budget and recommend the soundest bargain I can offer.Then, I say that when they have moved on a bit and can make a reasoned choice, come back- you'll get your full price back in part exchange.(from me!)
Some people buy a house not as a Home but as an investment.. . none of us want to lose money but a nice comfy home is worth a lot.
A pal of mine would buy an old tumble down house- do it up-sell at a profit and then do it again.
Meanwhile,his family were hauled around the countryside,never settling then all of a sudden the kids were grown up.
Happy Xmas
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

joseph wrote:Well, did you see the video? You always have something a bit snide to say about pianos from the far east..... anyone would think you didn't like them. :lol:
Honesty my friend,not greed never had the need to be "SNIDE" :lol: