Tuning advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

chriswarren
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Tuning advice

Post by chriswarren »

I've recently (5 weeks ago) bought a new Kawai RX3 grand, and need to think about a first tuning now it's had time to settle.

Checking the current tuning out with a couple of digital meters suggests that the middle octave is around 20-30 cents sharp of concert pitch. Should I ask my tuner to go for concert pitch, or to take the common denominator across the piano (i.e. slightly sharp) on the assumption that the strings will stretch a little over time etc.

Any advice gratefully received.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Tuning advice

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Generally speaking, pianos are usually in better condition when sharp rather than flat.... however it depends on a couple of issues....

1. Was the piano tuned prior to delivery & was it at C523.3Hz (Concert Pitch) ?

2. Do you need the piano to be at CP now? (eg accompaniment/ singing etc)

It also depends on the conditions of your room where the piano is located. With you having an RX3 (nice!) ...... you need to be kitted out with a humidifier & dampp chaser.

When you bought your piano, did the seller not offer a free tuning after delivery?

Sometimes its best to leave them a taj sharp (they usually leave the factory sharp) and it gives time for strings to settle & during winter months, allows heating to compensate - so in 12 months it will be nearer CP. However have a chat with your tuner - the tuning will take alot longer for a pitch drop, then fine tuning.... but your piano should then be tuned every 3-4 months for about 2 years to settle all the strings.... and its not uncommon for new pianos to wildly out of tune, even after a couple of months after being tuned.

Hope that helps...... also, keep an eye on temperature/ humidity.... and buy a hygrometer if you dont already have one.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
dancarney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by dancarney »

Sound advice from Colin. A bit sharp is always better than a bit flat!

I recently chatted about Damp Chasers with my mentor, and he advises that they aren't any better than using small house plants. Watering it regularly will maintain a fairly constant level of humidity, and if you suffer from too much humidity, try a small cactus. It'll absorb any excess moisture from the air. Much, much better value.
Dan Carney BMus(Hons) DipABRSM

Junior Piano Technician
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Mind you Dan.... I think this chappy went to extremes!!!!!
Garden piano!.jpg
AA Piano Tuners UK

dancarney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by dancarney »

Hahahaha!

'In an English country garden' springs to mind! :P

Junior Piano Technician
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

:wink:
dancarney wrote:Sound advice from Colin. A bit sharp is always better than a bit flat!

I recently chatted about Damp Chasers with my mentor, and he advises that they aren't any better than using small house plants. Watering it regularly will maintain a fairly constant level of humidity, and if you suffer from too much humidity, try a small cactus. It'll absorb any excess moisture from the air. Much, much better value.
:wink: Damp Chasers are taking away damp not adding. I think he meant a Life saver and I would disagree with him, you have no control with plants on how much or how little they take out.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
dancarney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by dancarney »

Perhaps, Barrie.

However, what they do IS regulate the humidity, if kept watered. That's the aim, within reason.

Junior Piano Technician
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

dancarney wrote:Perhaps, Barrie.

However, what they do IS regulate the humidity, if kept watered. That's the aim, within reason.
I'd love to know what special hybrid house plant you have in mind that regulates humidity. You could make a fortune out it.
I tried any number of different varieties of house plants placed in so many different positions over various periods of time, and although admittedly the external hydrometer showed a change of 1-2%, there was no such change on the fitted hydrometer within the piano. And it certainly didn't prevent the piano from going off-tune.
The fitment of a Dampp Chaser however was an immediate success, and now I've scheduled only one tune/year and even that really appears as a 'nice to have', rather than a 'must be done'.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

dancarney wrote:Perhaps, Barrie.

Hmm So if you have a piano that swings 15c sharp in summer and 15c flat in winter you are saying that we put a shed full of cactus in summer and all change in winter for...

... the problem now in the UK is that the homes are so well insulated they go very dry in winter and in summer windows get opened and the humidity goes up the 3 story homes seem to be worse if the piano is on the middle floor.

and in very dry homes the the LS puts moisture back in the soundboard improving the tone I have clients like NewAge who wished they had one fitted years ago once they have one fitted.

I too use to be the great believer that a bucket of water in the bottom of the piano is just as good. until a client moved into the area with one fitted. I was so impressed after the first few visits that I fit them whenever I can

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
dancarney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by dancarney »

Junior Piano Technician
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

there is a world of difference between an office and a home - most home have just about got room for the piano never mind Q gardens :wink:

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
dancarney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by dancarney »

Quote:

"Plants maintain humidity levels indoors at a range of 40 to 60 percent which is optimum for humans and plants".

Seems like suitable parameters. I think I may experiment at home...

Junior Piano Technician
Vignesh
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Vignesh »

Hello:
Recently I bought a Yamaha B3 (new) Piano thats placed on the living room. In the end of December, I am out for 3 weeks.

Should I leave the living room sealed at a higher temperature (lets say 15 degree) and run a high energy bill and a musty living room..? Or Should I ventilate as I normally do (which is open the top window a bit) and leave the room at relatively low temperature of lets say 10 degrees?

This may sound a bit naive, but what is the best ventilating conditions for the living room with a piano (that would cause least amount of de-tuning etc) , on an unattended house for 3 during the peak winter..?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Vignesh S
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

If going away for a few weeks I'd be inclined to:-
i) Ensure everything is closed including all windows for security reasons.
ii) Set the temperature at approx 15 degrees
iii) Consider having the piano tuned on your return, especially if it's not been tuned in the last 6 months or not been tuned since the heating turned on this year.
iv) Don't worry about your piano during your short absence.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

Looking good NEWAGE ....... Love the santa hat :D
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

Looking good NEWAGE ....... Love the santa hat :D
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Johnkie wrote:Looking good NEWAGE ....... Love the santa hat :D
Climbing down and back up those chimneys is good for the figure, but this is ridiculous.
Either that or those elves have screwed up my hormone treatment....... :lol:
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

Tell you what NEWAGE ...... I'll retire from tuning .... if you will give me the secret of how you got to look like that .... Silly me .... I see to have dribbled on my keyboard :( :shock: :D :D :D
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...but you'll freeze your bits off if you go out in just your vest like that, Newage... :shock:
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

...... was it 'bits' you said Gill? .... thought so! :shock:
AA Piano Tuners UK

NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Thinking about changing my username from Newage to Clevage...... :D
rxd
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by rxd »

Barrie Heaton wrote:
there is a world of difference between an office and a home - most home have just about got room for the piano never mind Q gardens :wink:

Barrie,
It seems to be in there with the wisdom of the ages. I remember being told back in the '60's that houseplants are good for pianos.

I think I started using a shorter lever so that I didn't have to remove the aspidistra from the top of the grand piano in those drawing rooms that hadn't changed much since Victorian times. Some of the plants were the size of small trees.

Ever noticed the water round the base or a palm tree on a hot dry day where the top of the tree has extracted what bit of moisture is left in the air and dripped it round it's own roots? There must be something to it if this kind of thing happens.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

rxd wrote:
Barrie Heaton wrote:

Barrie,
It seems to be in there with the wisdom of the ages. I remember being told back in the '60's that houseplants are good for pianos.

I think I started using a shorter lever so that I didn't have to remove the aspidistra from the top of the grand piano in those drawing rooms that hadn't changed much since Victorian times. Some of the plants were the size of small trees.

Ever noticed the water round the base or a palm tree on a hot dry day where the top of the tree has extracted what bit of moisture is left in the air and dripped it round it's own roots? There must be something to it if this kind of thing happens.

I do think that plants would add moisture to a room and do it well. plus its more green :mrgreen: However, the comment that plants are "just as good" is not holding water with me at all :roll:

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page