kind of wood

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Micky

kind of wood

Post by Micky »

I have a Brinsmead upright piano made between 1931 and 1940. It has recently been moved from storage to my new address and in the process the removal firm lost the front panel (I know, unbelievable!). In order that they can have a new one made, I need to find out what kind of wood it is made from. Can anybody suggest how I can find this information please?

Micky
dancarney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: kind of wood

Post by dancarney »

The bottom panel (bottom door) will probably made out of the same wood... You could supply them with that, it might help.
Dan Carney BMus(Hons) DipABRSM

Junior Piano Technician
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Is it the top or bottom panel missing? It can be quite easy for the bottom panel to drop off.
easy way & cheaper (if you are not selling the piano) is to buy some MDF to build the frame, some plywood for the centre, and beading for the inside of the frame.. then veneer it. Most pianos are made from a carcus wood, then veneer laid on top, then wood stain applied to match.. so maybe some oak veneer. If thats hassle, then PM me - I know a supplier who may have scrap parts.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
vernon

Post by vernon »

If it's the bottom door,just replace it with a plain panel in marine ply without all the beading etc
Easy to match it as it's in the dark and nobody really ses it.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

I wouldnt do a thing. They lost it, its up to them and their insurers to sort it out until you are happy.
Micky

Post by Micky »

dancarney wrote:The bottom panel (bottom door) will probably made out of the same wood... You could supply them with that, it might help.
Sorry - I didn't make it clear. It's the bottom panel that's missing.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Take the top door to your local piano shop and, in agreement with the removal people, ask the piano people to just make another bottom door to match.Simple.Any competent piano shop can do it.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Just managed to dig out some plans I made for a bottom door about 5 years ago - same thing happened, went to tune this piano, and bottom door was missing! The customer wanted it looking "similar" to the top in design (beading etc), so I made one. Depends on joinery skills - prob. semi skilled will do this job, but if you want it veneering/ polished/ panel & beading, then a more skilled job to get a pro finish. If piano shop wont do it, try a joiner.... loads about.

If its just a quick job you want, buy some timber - 1' (thick) X 5' (wide) .... will need just over 3 metres in length, so get a 4 metre length.... costs about £4 - £5. Ply wood will be about 105 X 30cm (rough guess)

This design is the 'U' shaped bottom door, but you can make it square instead and just pop a wooden knob on panel B. Using wood dowelling, join/ glue & clamp panels B + C to A.... then join up panel D - join all panels together at same time and clamp whole lot together. Then just get some plywood, measure it up for the 'window' in the middle - cut it slightly bigger than the window, fix it around all 4 panels (at the back) with small screws or panel pins, then bead up the front. Will need a couple of sash clamps aswell to go either side of A + D panels & spare timber so you dont damage or dent the sides during clamping.

Here is a guide below (for the build).... but dont go by these measurements, you'll need to measure the piano where bottom door went - bit like fitting a window!
Bottompanel.jpg
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Micky

Post by Micky »

Thanks to all for your suggestions, and especially to Colin for finding the plans and his detailed instructions.
Armed with all the information I shall now be able to make sure that I get exactly what is needed and that the job is done properly.