Keyslip removal

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

dorsetpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Keyslip removal

Post by dorsetpiano »

I have a Steinberg Berlin baby grand with a Fleming action and a couple of notes developed a squeek. When the piano tuner was here he fixed it very easily by removing the end blocks and piece of wood across the front and pulled out the complete action then showed me how to stop the noise by simply wiping over one component of the action. Since then a another note has developed a squeek but when I tried to slide out the action it wouldn't budge and I am frightened to pull too hard. I am wondering if there is some hidden catch or trick required to release the action in but can't see one. Any suggestions? I don't want to end up with a call out fee for a job I can do myself.
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Keyslip removal

Post by Withindale »

Wouldn't your tuner be able to advise over the phone? We would in our business. It's called customer service!

One thing I've learnt from piano forums is that piano technicians are only too keen to help; but for some reason we are reticent at coming forward.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I would call your piano tuner if I were you. A call-out fee maybe cheaper than replacing broken hammer shanks..... so hope you have been warned about that?

Keyslip removal? confused here.... this is the rail that runs across the middle of the keys - about 3mm in height above the keys.

When you remove a grand action, you must not touch any part of the keys or the keybed.... put your hands inside and try and pull the hammer rest rail - in short movements (from left to right). There will also be a strong leaf spring inside (for returning the una corda shift mechanism).... one the right hand side of the keyframe has cleared the spring, the action should come out easily. However, if there is friction (or swelling on the keybed) - this may cause the action to be stiff... give a short tug.... that should do it!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
vernon

Post by vernon »

a small tug will remove the action ok.
A dangling sleeve,a tie or a suddenly helpful client at the other end will also hastily remove several hammers.
The sound of hammers cracking as an action is withdrawn inexpertly is one that arouses the most basic animal response in the hearer--- culprit or not.
Once heard,having caused it oneself, it is never invited again.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Most of use have cringed at the sound of a shank braking

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
vernon

Post by vernon »

The best ones were the old forked shanks( with the brass check coming thro' the slot in the shank)
It was a violinmakers job to repair one
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

vernon wrote:The best ones were the old forked shanks( with the brass check coming thro' the slot in the shank)
It was a violinmakers job to repair one
I have about 10 of them in the workshop if you need any I re-coved a set about 10 years ago drove me mad casting them and getting the spacing right

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Pierce »

Leave it to a pro. DIY will end in tears and snapped hammers!