Knight K10 - what to do?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Joey

Knight K10 - what to do?

Post by Joey »

Hi,
I'm new here and hope you can help me.

3 years ago I was given a piano by a lady from church who loved it dearly (she cried when we picked it up!). I fully intended to learn to play it. I'm a flautist and have always wanted to learn piano as a completely different instrument. Anyway, I haven't done anything about it and have rarely touched the piano other than the occasional rendition of 'Walking in the Air' from the Snowman (this is the only thing I can play on a piano!!). So, I decided to part with it and give it to someone who would use it properly.

In the course of my research I found out it is a Knight K10. Today I had a piano tuner round and he has tuned it to concert pitch and thinks the piano is worth around £1500 in its current state. He played it just before he left and it sounded gorgeous!!

So, my dilemma is - do I keep the piano and learn how to play it (not sure when I'll have time for lessons/practice) or do I try and sell it (knowing full well I'll never be able to afford to own such a lovely instrument again)??

I know none of you know me, but I'd appreciate your views! Thank you, joey.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Knight K10 - what to do?

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

A few thoughts:

- It might be worth £1500 on a city centre showroom but I'd say you're unlikely to find a private buyer willing to pay anywhere close to that
- Will you regret it forever more if you sell it?
- Did you get a piano teacher? If not, try that for a few months.

:)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Joey wrote:Hi,
I'm new here and hope you can help me.

3 years ago I was given a piano by a lady from church who loved it dearly (she cried when we picked it up!). I fully intended to learn to play it. I'm a flautist and have always wanted to learn piano as a completely different instrument. Anyway, I haven't done anything about it and have rarely touched the piano other than the occasional rendition of 'Walking in the Air' from the Snowman (this is the only thing I can play on a piano!!). So, I decided to part with it and give it to someone who would use it properly.

In the course of my research I found out it is a Knight K10. Today I had a piano tuner round and he has tuned it to concert pitch and thinks the piano is worth around £1500 in its current state. He played it just before he left and it sounded gorgeous!!

So, my dilemma is - do I keep the piano and learn how to play it (not sure when I'll have time for lessons/practice) or do I try and sell it (knowing full well I'll never be able to afford to own such a lovely instrument again)??

I know none of you know me, but I'd appreciate your views! Thank you, joey.
Easy question, simple answer. Keep it!
Set yourself a schedule for regular practice - even if it's only 10mins/day, and stick to it without fail!
Find yourself a teacher which will give the motivation to keep going and your success should rocket.
Knight pianos generally were very good. Now that it is tuned to concert pitch ensure that it is regularly tuned - at least once a year, or twice if possible.
There are many self-tutor piano books on the market. Some excellent, some poor. Ask away if you need more advise.
Heed this advise and in just 6 months times you should be playing pleasant, simple tunes with both hands.
Don't forget, regular practice is essential!
Let us know how you progress - because progress you will. Good luck.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

You need to ask yourself if you can afford the time? Learning the piano will need time from you, if you can manage 30min a day, then go for it, you have already done the hard part of reading music.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Thank you all for your thoughts.

The lack of time to practice is the one thing that concerns me and I feel it is such a waste to have a piano quite literally gathering dust in the corner of my lounge! I think I need to look for a teacher who will motivate me to learn/practice - and that will make me re-arrange my evening so that I can fit in some practice time.

Will keep you posted :-)
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Well, why don't you keep the piano for yourself, if you are a flautist you probably should have a piano if you ever practise with an accompanist.

The Knight was a decent piano, not in the league of a Yamaha action wise, but tone wise its one of the nicest English pianos around. Very well built too.