First Piano Advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Snoot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

First Piano Advice

Post by Snoot »

Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy my first piano so i hoped i'd get a little advise. I have been trying to decide on a piano now for quite some time without coming to a final choice. One of the problems I'm having is that I've only played digital pianos and keyboards and very little on real pianos so I've no idea what I'm looking for in the sound of an acoustic piano, if that makes sense. Piano suppliers are also very limited where i live near Durham , So trying lots of different pianos isn't easy either. I have a budget of between £3-4000 for an upright. I have sampled three different makes up to now, Yamaha U's, Kawai K's and a Petrof. First thing that surprised me with the Yamaha's and Kawai was how light the keys are. Is this a good thing? Coming from keyboard to weighted keys on a digital piano, my playing improved immensely due to the strength in my fingers. The keys on these two seemed quite a bit lighter than my digital. Does this matter?

The other worry is reconditioned U3's. I preferred the sound of the U3 of all the models and makes i tried, but the one i looked at was very rough around the edges and was not reconditioned. It was of similar price to reconditioned models I've seen advertised with other suppliers. Does anyone have any opinions on these? or experience with any Uk suppliers? I also found the Kawai K2 to have a nice sound but was at the top end of my budget although thats for new. Though I'd hope i could get the price down some if i decided on this. The petrof i've played belongs to my niece. I like the heavier weight in the keys, although i couldn't judge very well on sound as it's in desperate need of a tune which is very off putting.
Any advise would be much appreciated, as I'm terribly indecisive.... :) . As I said, I've never owned a piano and i'm wanting to start lessons again after a lot of years but obviously piano lessons and not keyboard. I will wanting to play mostly classical music and probably at around grade 5 playing standard and want to work my way up the levels.
Thanks again in advance.
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: First Piano Advice

Post by Johnkie »

Hi Snoot - Is the Petrof belonging to your niece for sale, or are you merely considering the option of buying one of the same make? I ask, because if she is considering selling it, then you would be best advised to get it looked over and tuned so that you have a better idea of it's potential. It's always difficult for someone to decide on a particular piano when walking into a showroom - more often than not they're not very well in tune, and a common reaction is "I like the look, and the touch suits me down to the ground .... but it sounds harsh or tinny". Neither of which is really any cause for concern, as a good tuning and toning will make an amazing difference.

You are sadly correct about not having much choice where you live .... there is only Windows (Metro Centre) and Tyneside Pianos (Ashington) - both of which don't have their own tuning staff and rely on the services of outside tuners, some of which are just plain dreadful! Having said that though, if you are prepared to play one off against each other, you should be able to get a better deal.

There is another option, one of going further afield - and it would be even more difficult to be able to try them out - but you possibly could get an even better deal.
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
Snoot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Snoot »

Hi Johnkie, the Petrof isn't for sale no, but as you say just as a guide (One of those pianos that just sit there collecting dust.... shame). I'm deffinately considering going further a field. I've had dealings with Windows quite a few times and on price, to be honest, they're very stubbon. I tried to buy a Tyros 3 from them quite a while back . I told them they were £700 more than most other competition, i kid you not they wouldn't move an ounce on their price. i was willing to pay little over the odds to try and give it to a local business, but not that much. So they lost the sale. Don't get me wrong the staff are great and friendly, but they must have tight proffit margins. The Rough U3 mentioned in the OP was also from there also and there wasn't a lot of play on that price too. I didn't know about Tyneside pianos so i'll have to check that out.

I don't doubt there are some respectable traders in reconditioned U3's out there who can be trusted to deliver an A+ yamaha . It's just finding who they are. When you read the spiel... they all seem to get the A+ imported crates full of yamahas. Whos getting the bad ones? :)
Thanks for your help
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Where do you live Snoot?
It's best to get out in the car and visit as many piano shops as you can. This is a decision that you may have to stand by for many years, probably several decades. So my best advice at this stage is to get out and visit as many piano shops as you can. You'll get a good feel for which makes and models you like, which sort of sound you are looking for and which sort of dealer to gravitate towards and which to avoid.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Snoot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Snoot »

Hi Mark i live in Co. Durham. I think the nearest piano dealer after the two mentioned above is about a 2 hour drive. I've got 2 weeks off from work so i'm hoping to sort a piano out during that time. I do like the U3, but it's just the worry of getting a 20 - 30 year old piano that concerns me. I just get a picture in my head of it been like an old car.... More trouble than they're worth. But the one i played on seemed to sound better than most of the grands in the shop to my ear.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

That's funny. A chap flew over from Dublin today to see my Yamaha U1 pianos.
Have you come across Nial from Piano Centre in County Monaghan yet? He's a nice chap :)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:That's funny. A chap flew over from Dublin today to see my Yamaha U1 pianos.
Have you come across Nial from Piano Centre in County Monaghan yet? He's a nice chap :)
Geography not your strong subject Mark ? Co Durham is North East England .... not Ireland :D
Snoot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Snoot »

I suppose if you hadn't heard of Co. Durham, it could sound like an Irish county. :D
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Hahaha whoops. I'm always doing that with Co. Durham. Sorry snoot!!
But don't worry I can still rescue this...

Funnily enlough I have a customer visiting from Newcastle this weekend. That's not far from you is it? Half hour drive? No ferry involved!

:)
vernon

Post by vernon »

Newcatle on Tyne or Newcastle Staffs?
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

vernon wrote:Newcatle on Tyne or Newcastle Staffs?
Great comment Vernon .... Very funny .... love it :D

There's one in Australia too !! :wink:
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Newcatle Vernon? ;)
Snoot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Snoot »

Ok so I've been shopping around today and went to the Tyneside Piano Company. They have some fantastic pianos and are realy helpful, i have come away with some other piano's i liked. They had a Yamaha U1, which i still think sounded better than a lot of the grands to my ears. Other models which stood out in my price range were the Essex EUP108E, which i very nearly settled on for what seemed to be a great deal. It sounded very good too. The yamaha B1 was quite good aswell. I tried a few of the 2nd hand Grand piano's out too but i was very unimpressed. I think they were by GEBR DOHNERT, STECK and another i can't remember. I also played a beautiful grand by SEMICK which i ruled out because it was out of my budget at £6100 but now i've come away, i'm wondering if it would be worth spending a little more? Does anyone have any experience with SEMICK?

I had another go at the Kawai's K2 and K3 in another shop and i'm still pretty impressed with them too, great deal with delivery and 10 year warranty if i can wranggle the price down a little more. Thanks again for any advice.

Snoot.
rgreig
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rgreig »

Snoot,

If you have room for a grand piano in your house, I would certainly look seriously at what is available in your price range. A grand piano has an action that is quite different - and superior - to an upright. The key is to get one that is a decent size in order to get a sound that is as good as the larger uprights (so look for around 170cm minimum). Smaller than that and I would stick to an upright (although some might disagree) since ultimately it has to sound good.

I have not played a Samick but I believe they are reasonable. How old was the model you tried?

At that sort of money I think a bit of travel is worthwhile. You could get to Edinburgh quite easily on the train and there are two piano dealers not far from the centre of the city. Alternatively there are some dealers in Yorkshire.

Robert
Snoot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Snoot »

Hi Robert, I think the Samick was new but didn't pay a lot of attention to it as it was out of the budget i set myself originaly. It wasn't till i got home that i started to think about spending a bit more. I'm going to go back on saturday to try it again. I'll phone around tomorrow to get some idea's on prices first so i know what i should be looking at. From what i've read on the internet they don't seem to be a bad piano unless your used to playing something realy high end. I've read they're above average so should'nt be too bad for a first piano if i decide that way. Thanks.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I tune a baby Samick belonging to a piano teacher which gets a hell of a lot of punishment - and it is a very stable intrument with quite a decent bass considering its size.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
maritess

Post by maritess »

Thanks for all the tips. I certainly know where to look and what to look for when it's time for me to buy one.
Snoot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Snoot »

Ok, i Purchased a piano today. Went with the intention of trying the SAMICK and getting a good deal. I was just about to speak to the sales guy when my partner pointed out a used BOSTON GP156 Grand, two years old. It blew the Samick out of the water making it feel very underwhelming and cheap in comparison. I went backwards and forwards between the two for ages. Everything about it felt just right. So... I up'ed my budget for a final time agreed a deal with the guy and paid the deposit and it's on it's way this Friday. My Partner says she wished she had 'nt noticed it jokingly, but admits that even from her listening, that they are miles apart. I think she was more worried that i'd try out a Steinway.... :)

Thanks for your help and advice all. Cheers.

Snoot.