Second hand piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Carlos84

Second hand piano

Post by Carlos84 »

Hello, I have just joined this forum so I am a new member. I am a future piano tuning student and I am looking for a piano to buy. I would like to practice my tuning and improve a bit my playing. I have found a R. Gors & Kalmann that I would like to go and have a look. This piano is a Baby grand (5ft) and has normally been played and tuned. I would appreciate if you could give me some advice about what I should check. I read that I should check the soundboard and the iron frame, is that right? What do you think about this maker? I have been trying to find some information but I could not find relevant information.

I am quite confused and hope you can help me a bit,,

Many thanks,

Carlos
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Second hand piano

Post by NewAge »

Carlos84 wrote:Hello, I have just joined this forum so I am a new member. I am a future piano tuning student and I am looking for a piano to buy. I would like to practice my tuning and improve a bit my playing. I have found a R. Gors & Kalmann that I would like to go and have a look. This piano is a Baby grand (5ft) and has normally been played and tuned. I would appreciate if you could give me some advice about what I should check. I read that I should check the soundboard and the iron frame, is that right? What do you think about this maker? I have been trying to find some information but I could not find relevant information.

I am quite confused and hope you can help me a bit, Many thanks,
Carlos
No need to be confused. Just go to this forum's Board Index and read 'Piano Buying Advice FAQ'. Loads of info there.
Also if you 'Google' Gors & Kalmann you will see a website with some info, plus other links with related info.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Carlos84

Post by Carlos84 »

Thank you for the information, I have gone through it all. I would like to know from experienced piano tuners and technicians what they think about this particular brand (R. Gors & Kalmann) and their grand pianos. I am looking for someone who has had experience tuning and fixing those.

I read that this brand is now based in china and some all their old pianos are considered to be made in the golden piano era. Suppose that the piano condition are ok. Would be worthy to make a complete restoration of a piano like this? I saw some for nothing and some restored for almost £9000. I read that some has been used in studios recording so I suppose they should be good? I am looking for an instrument that suit the needs of a professional performer. Could it be a R. Gors & Kalmann?

Cheers
Carlos84

Post by Carlos84 »

Thank you for the information, I have gone through it all. I would like to know from experienced piano tuners and technicians what they think about this particular brand (R. Gors & Kalmann) and their grand pianos. I am looking for someone who has had experience tuning and fixing those.

I read that this brand is now based in china and some all their old pianos are considered to be made in the golden piano era. Suppose that the piano condition are ok. Would be worthy to make a complete restoration of a piano like this? I saw some for nothing and some restored for almost £9000. I read that some has been used in studios recording so I suppose they should be good? I am looking for an instrument that suit the needs of a professional performer. Could it be a R. Gors & Kalmann?

Cheers
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Step 1: take a tuner with you
Step 2: Don't ignore this advice
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hi Carlos

if you are buying the piano to play fine but if you are buying this piano to practice tuning on not a good idea you need to buy a cheep upright for this £10. off ebay you can them practice shanks tuning ect As you are new to tuning so you will bugger up
the pins if you have no supervision . Also it will be uprights you will work on most at first

Welcome to the list and good luck with your tuning

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
rgreig
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rgreig »

Carlos, I would be surprised if many professionals would want a 5 foot baby grand. Are you expecting to be able to restore this in order to sell it? Maybe people in the trade can comment but I would expect (and this is just my own impression) that a large proportion of baby grands of that size are destined to be "bay window" pianos.

Robert
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I think the most common buyer for a baby grand at the moment are young families. They like it as a piece of furniture as much as for the kids to learn on.

In my experience the least talented the musician, the more suspicious and picky the customer. They obsess over the cabinet quality instead of the musical qualities. A talented ambitious pianist on the other hand ignores the cabinet and sniffs out the piano that he will enjoy learning on the most.
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Carlos,

I fully restored a Gors & Kallmann upright piano in 2007, and they are fine if previously kept in good condition, and away from damp. Good quality pianos, and parts (even worn away) will refurb fine. Gors & Kallmann are no different to any other German piano (mech department), and dont have anything that 'stands out' or needs special mentioning. When a piano is restored, yes, the name is taken into consideration, but the piano would need to be thoroughly checked over.

The "soundboard checks" would be way down the list of spot checks as far as I'm concerned, unless there were gaping cracks in the joins - then I would probably leave it alone unless it didn't intrude with the sound, and unless I was considering a re-string, then if so, shimming would be an option.

Even if anyone on this site gave you some various checks to carry out, it would be impossible for us to describe the regulation of a grand here, and even if we could, could you understand the terminology? In terms of a newby tuner? .... leave it alone mate...., you'll ruin it!!.... and just get a cheap over-damped to practise on for now, or you may do more harm than good. Have you started a tuning course and where?? - a few say this to get attention on this forum, but have no intentions of starting the full course. Personally, if you are awaiting to start a tuning/repair/refurb course.... wait until you start, they will provide some cheap "runaround" pianos for you to practise on...... uprights first.... then grands.... only manners!!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

uprights first.... then grands.... only manners!!
haha :lol:
Carlos84

Post by Carlos84 »

Hi all,

Thank you everyone for your comments, especially to Colin. Everything makes more sense now. I feel confident with my decision of not taking this particular piano. I will definitely wait until I start my course on September.

Cheers,

Carlos