Yamaha U2 honky tonk

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

steve

Yamaha U2 honky tonk

Post by steve »

Hi,

Obviously I'm very novice. Just bought a 2nd hand U2, seemed very nice when I went and tried it at the seller's home. Transported it 20 miles to my place, and it sounds all honky-tonk. Also, the silent pedal (the middle one) isn't working properly - some of the keys sound strange when the pedal is depressed - and the left pedal does nothing at all.

Getting it tuned tomorrow, but I'm nervous I've bought a dud. Is it normal for a piano being transported a short distance to go a fair bit out of tune?

Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha U2 honky tonk

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Change in Humidity can have a huge effect on a piano The mute peddle will be something and nothing

The piano will also sound different you may like to ask your tuner to voice the piano to the room

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

You might need to adjust your middle pedal screw. It's very easy to do. I've written instructions here
http://www.markgoodwinpianos.co.uk/info ... tise-pedal

As for the left pedal please lift the top lid, look inside at the hammers whilst pressing the left pedal up and down a few times. Do the hammers move? If they do move, it isn't broken, the effect is very subtle that's all. Speak with your tuner about that, he may be able to adjust it a little.

As for the honky tonk sound yes that could be a humidity chance but your tuner will be able to assess the voicing of the piano and he might offer to address that for you.

Let us know how you get on.

I'm being nosey now but what is the serial number and how much did you pay? If you don't want to post the full serial number just post the first 4 numbers so that I can accurately date it for you.

Congrats on your new piano.
I'm sure it will serve you very well for many years! :)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
steve

Post by steve »

Thanks Mark. The tuner did a fantastic job, and it's sounding and feeling really great now - pedals doing what they're supposed to, everything perfectly in tune. It's got pretty bright sound - not so great for a Chopin nocturne, but pretty darn good for a bit of Fats Waller!

Mark, I also need to thank you for deflating the price of Yamaha U2s with the piece that you have on your website about this model. I got a fantastic deal for a great quality piano. I think you're forgetting about the people who do have the space for a U3, but not the budget for one. Unless you're really pressed for space, the difference in size between a U2 and a U1 is negligible.

The tuner said it had barely been used, though the serial number is in the 2 millions - for me, it's the mileage that's the most important consideration.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Reading this.... it sounds like the middle pedal is actually working fine! When the middle pedal is pressed down, the notes do sound "strange" (like you said), and it will give off a muffled/muted sound.... then the pedal is doing its job. This middle pedal is sometimes confused for the middle (sostenuto) pedal on a grand piano.... this has a completely different function

As for the left pedal (as Mark correctly said), this pedal does not change the 'sound' of the piano - it creates some 'play' in the moving parts to enable you to play lightly with an even tone. However, the pedal rods are easily prone to 'jump out' during transportation, or maybe the piano has been up-ended onto its side? A quicky & easy job for a tuner - and they shouldn't charge for that.

Just make sure you keep your piano away from direct light & heat.... or the honky tonk will come back with vengeance!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

I may be reading this wrong but have you just moved the piano and had it tuned a few day later? If so its going to go out of tune over the next few weeks. You realy need to give it a month before tuning.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I think you're forgetting about the people who do have the space for a U3, but not the budget for one
I tend to think that's the where the U1 comes in.
Ladies like the U1 because it doesn't dominate the room quite so much
Men like the U3 because of the extra depth and quality of tone
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Pierce »

[quote="mdw"]I may be reading this wrong but have you just moved the piano and had it tuned a few day later? If so its going to go out of tune over the next few weeks. You realy need to give it a month before tuning.[/quote]
Too right.

Leave it for 6 weeks to settle and adjust to the humidity of the room>
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Ladies like the U1, Men like the U3 - OH WOW! That's pretty cutting (but quite funny!)

I like both models actually- the U1s that I've played tend to sound a little sweeter than the U3s i've played - I haven't played either model in a long time mind you. Thats probably more down to voicing than anything else, and the U pianos I've played have been in conservatoires. The U3s tended to be practised on hard by pianists and the U1s were more in the vocal studies rooms, taking less punishment.

I think I've seen one U2 in my life. It was nice but cracking on a bit in years.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Ladies like the U1, Men like the U3 - OH WOW! That's pretty cutting (but quite funny!)
Haha, sorry Joseph.
It isn't a hard & fast rule by any means but when a couple come in and they aren't quite sure whether they want a U1 or U3, the lady usually describes the U1 as "neat" or "compact" or even "cute" whereas the man ignores those qualities and focuses on the better tone of the U3. The tone of the U1 is still excellent but when you have a few U1s sat next to a few U3s you can spot the difference quite easily.

It's a shame you can't get a U3 sound out of a U1 cabinet.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Piano Sexism,have heard it all now can hardly believe my ears especially on Yamaha pianos,cute,romantic,sweet etc,my description of these instruments are practise pianos,workhorses at give-away prices.If after sweet,melodic tones stay clear.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

YAMAHA U2 HONKY TONK are they ever anything else :lol:
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

joe wrote:Piano Sexism,have heard it all now can hardly believe my ears especially on Yamaha pianos,cute,romantic,sweet etc,my description of these instruments are practise pianos,workhorses at give-away prices.If after sweet,melodic tones stay clear.
I think the U1 and U3 strike the perfect balance between tone, touch, build quality, reliability AND they hold their value. Nothing else comes close to achieving that balance

The new Chinese stuff is always claiming to have achieved that but I've never played one that makes me go "wow". I always go "ugh" instead.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

If I'm being perfectly honest, Yamaha U1s and U3s have always struck me as decent mid range pianos, excellent construction, reliable, decent sound. Never much to write home about. Bostons for me tend to fall into that category but seem a bit more robust. Some Bostons sound sweet, and some sound quite frankly agricultural.

The new chinese stuff goes from the unplayable to somewhere up to or just below Yamaha ish quality.

The only pianos that have made me go wow are Steinways, high end Yamaha, some Bosendorfers and some Bluthners. Mainly the Steinway D though.... I admit it, I'm a sucker for the Steinway, just like the rest of us.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I still remember my first Steinway D moment.
I was at Besbrode. Hmmm, gorgeous.