DIY Silent system

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

DIY Silent system

Post by Barrie Heaton »

We are now selling a self fitting Silent system for those who need a Silent system and have moderate DIY skills

Diy Silent system

The nice thing about this new system in most cases the playing mechanise stays unchanged no need to alter the set off

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: DIY Silent system

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Cool.
Geneo, isn't that the same basic kit as PianoDisc?
I use Pianodisc GT-2 at the moment

How do the 2 kits compare?
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

its the pro version so its got all that you need for a silent system including Mid
the specs are on the page

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Is it the same hardware as the PianoDisc kit but badged differently? Or is it a completely separate product made by an unrelated factory? Cheers Barrie. Sounds interesting.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:Is it the same hardware as the PianoDisc kit but badged differently? Or is it a completely separate product made by an unrelated factory? Cheers Barrie. Sounds interesting.
Yes and No.. The slap rail is an improved one, hence you don't need to alter the regulation of the piano actions, (on most makes) that has 2 + is, less complex to install and the action still plays the same as before The rest I believe its made in the same factory as PD in the Asia

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Barrie Heaton wrote:its the pro version so its got all that you need for a silent system including Mid
the specs are on the page. Barrie,
Interesting.
Unless I'm mistaken (although I can't speak German) the following demo appears to be showing the same Geneo Pro system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n_iWCgmUj8

From the description, one can conclude that if a silent 'muffler' is not already fitted, the set-off will need to be altered. What would be the approx cost for this by a piano technician?
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I am a bit confused. The stop bar replaces the celest rail? And how does the system recieve the info on key and speed? The big problem I can see is not many people will want to play with the insides of their piano. I can see that the price is right as a Pianodsic GT-2 system fitted is around £1200. Can take up to 5 hours to fit depending on the piano. But, what about warranty issues on new? The set-off spec on some new pianos is 2mm so a tech will need to increase this.
To adjust the set off will take under an hour. So £50-£60 including call out?
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

NewAge wrote:
Barrie Heaton wrote:its the pro version so its got all that you need for a silent system including Mid
the specs are on the page. Barrie,
Interesting.
Unless I'm mistaken (although I can't speak German) the following demo appears to be showing the same Geneo Pro system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n_iWCgmUj8

From the description, one can conclude that if a silent 'muffler' is not already fitted, the set-off will need to be altered. What would be the approx cost for this by a piano technician?
Yip that why we say that on most pianos set will not need to be altered. As most modem pianos come with a muffler fitted as standard

Takes 4 to 8 hours to fit by a tuners who knows the system and the piano the bigget the piano like a U3 much quicker to fit than say 1960 smaller piano with no muffler fitted so for me its £800 to £1000 to supply and fit

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

sussexpianos wrote:I am a bit confused. The stop bar replaces the celest rail? And how does the system recieve the info on key and speed? The big problem I can see is not many people will want to play with the insides of their piano. I can see that the price is right as a Pianodsic GT-2 system fitted is around £1200. Can take up to 5 hours to fit depending on the piano. But, what about warranty issues on new? The set-off spec on some new pianos is 2mm so a tech will need to increase this.
You have 4 components to fit
The pedal sensor
The key sensor
The control box
The Stop rail which replaces the damper stop rail

IF the piano is fitted with a muffler then set off should not need altering The person will have to take out the action and keys and yes any modification to a new piano will void the warranty even if a tuner installs it

They have been doing it as a DIY kit for 5 years in Europe so its well test for amateurs to fit

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Barrie Heaton wrote:
sussexpianos wrote:I am a bit confused. The stop bar replaces the celest rail? And how does the system recieve the info on key and speed? The big problem I can see is not many people will want to play with the insides of their piano. I can see that the price is right as a Pianodsic GT-2 system fitted is around £1200. Can take up to 5 hours to fit depending on the piano. But, what about warranty issues on new? The set-off spec on some new pianos is 2mm so a tech will need to increase this.
You have 4 components to fit
The pedal sensor
The key sensor
The control box
The Stop rail which replaces the damper stop rail

IF the piano is fitted with a muffler then set off should not need altering The person will have to take out the action and keys and yes any modification to a new piano will void the warranty even if a tuner installs it

They have been doing it as a DIY kit for 5 years in Europe so its well test for amateurs to fit

Barrie,
Silent pianos are slow sellers at the best of times,if buying a new piano better to have one which has been factory fitted usually only 1year warranty,if customer wanting system fitted to used pianos not the type of work i would be looking to undertake.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joe wrote:Silent pianos are slow sellers at the best of times,if buying a new piano better to have one which has been factory fitted usually only 1year warranty,if customer wanting system fitted to used pianos not the type of work i would be looking to undertake.
Totally agree better to buy one from the start. However, there a re a lot of 70 - 80 and 90 Yamaha and Kawais out there that the owners would like to have the silent option

We have run installation courses for Blind tuners to install them about 3 years ago in Birmingham and we may run them next year for those who wish to provide an installation service.

This system is just one more option to get a silent piano

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page